Video card issue

axr0284

Solid State Member
Hi,
here is what happened. I was playing a game and all of a sudden the video flickered and computer froze so I restarted and I saw yellow dotted lines on the screen during the bios information and POST. Since then no game will play at all. It freezes and I have to restart. I have an ati radeon x800 xl. I tried updating the drivers for the card but it still has the same problem. Under windows when I try to play video, I see black lines on the image. Anybody has any clue what that is all about. Should I change the card. I have a Gigabyte GA-G975x motherboard. Thanks
Amish

It sounds like something is wrong with the card, possibly a voltage issue. It could also be the montior- check your refresh rate.

It's a PCI Express card so the voltage is obtained from the slot, not an external connection. As for my monitor. It's running at 60 Hz. I actually have two monitors hooked up and they both show crappy stuff. I guess the card just gave out. I'll try to switch it to see. Thanks
Amish

Either the card is faulty or then the temperatures are getting too high. Also a bad oc could be the reason.

It's ati radeon x800 xl. I was cooling it with a zalman vf-900. Maybe the temp got too hi. I have software that can monitor cpu temp but Is there any software that can monitor gpu temp.

I'm pretty sure the X800 chip has a temperature sensor on it... I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it has.

If you right click on the desktop and go to Properties, and go to the Video card settings, isn't there a Temperature Sensor option to check the temps on the card?

If there isn't, oh well, but I do know that alot of Radeon cards do now.

I'm doubting its temps that caused it though. I mean that Zalman fan, unless it stopped working should have cooled the card down!

It seems more likely under the circumstances, especailly since theres ALOT of artifacting, that part of the chips just decided to blow on you, though its pretty weird, considering the cards still found under the BIOS.

As a precaution though, pull the card out of the slot, blow on it, and then place it back, making sure its tightly fit.

I hope you can get a replacement if its new enough :(

I tried to pull it out already and know I don't think the warranty covers it anymore so i'm stuck getting a new one. Any ideas for a good value for money card. It would have to have the ati chipset though since my motherboard seems to work decently with it and is built for crossfire. NewEgg here I come :)
Amish

Nah i'm new here and my real name is Amish (hindu) not a mormon. I'm the complete opposit :) Anyways why do you say my motherboard is built for 1600 and higher. Just because it is crossfire ready. On another note, is there any way to trace between different video cards without their serial number. I tried to look for an fcc id but can't find out. Thanks
Amish

Back
Top Bottom