RAM upgrade - compatability question

ajajaj

Solid State Member
Hi there,

I currently have:

1x256mb ddr 266mhz RAM
1x512mb ddr 266mhz RAM

I only have 2 memory slots on my motherboard.

The motherboard has this written on it:

GA-8SIML REV1.0

I was wondering, would I be able to remove my 256mb and replace it with a 1gb?

I'm not sure if my motherboard can handle more than 1gb of RAM.

If I can put the 1gb in so that I have a total of 1.5gb RAM, that would be fantastic. The RAM I am considering purchasing is:

ITEM 6877197563 (www.ebay.co.uk)

Thanks in advance for advising what capacitiy RAM my motherboard can handle.

AJ

I forgot to mention that I've lost my manuals and when I do a search on google for my motherboard I found 1 site that says maximum 1gb ram, another says maximum 2gb and another that says max is 3gb which is crazy.

So, a definite answer from you people would be great.

thanks again,

AJ

Its 2GB max supported. Yeah, you can just whack another stick in, but that stick of 512 will slow it down, just buy 2x1GB @ 400Mhz.

Thanks for replying.

at least I know I can upgrade to 1.5gb.

I'm pretty sure the motherboard only supports RAM which is 266mhz tho - hence the reason I'm looking at buying the RAM from ebay which is 1gb DDR 266mhz PC2100

my current RAM, 256mb and the 512mb are both DDR 266mhz PC2100 - I wouldn't have thought the 1gb which I want to buy will slow anything down will it??

No, but there is no point buying another 1GB RAM at high speed, if you just have tjhe 512 to slow it down..

poo - I'm confused now...

my 512mb is DDR 266mhz PC2100

the 1gb I want to buy is DDR 266mhz PC2100

aren't they the same speed?

I can't afford 2x1gb sticks, so would I be better of buying just another 512mb DDR 266mhz PC2100?

thanks again.

Sorry to confuse. I just presumed you would buy a higher speed stick.

Yeah, just buy the new 1GB stick and add it in.

ahh good - that clears that up.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the max speed RAM my motherboard can take is DDR 266mhz which is why I'm gonna stick to getting that 1gb RAM i've mentioned.

Thanks for confirming that I can definitely upgrade as far as 2x1gb

I'll go ahead and buy it now.

Thanks,

AJ

this is bugging me now :D

sooo... you're saying that my motherboard can take up to DDR 400mhz RAM?

Also, would I notice a big difference If I completely removed my current 2 sticks of DDR 266mhz RAM (total 768mb) and replace it with 1 stick of 1gb DDR 400mhz RAM?

I'm just a little scared that if I purchase a 400mhz stick of RAM that it won't work and then I can't get my money back :D

Back
Top Bottom