Nuclear power

Really oil is not good at all. Only reason its such in high demand because its CHEAPER, and safer. Gas will be the downfall of us if we keep using it. We are all to well aware of the threat of melt downs and stuff then we are of global warming.

Actually, I'm am going to totaly go against you on this. I did a research project on Nuclear power a couple years ago, and here are some interesting facts:

One cubic inch of uranium has as much energy as 100 million pounds of coal.

With all the developement in nuclear power, controlling fusion will sonn be possible, and when it is, we can then seperate the atoms, and reassemble them, over and over and over and over OKAY, you get the point.

The Nuclear Power-plant is a closed-system, so none of the water used from the rear-by water sorce is contaminated, and it is just like the city taking water, and re-plenishing it.

The ampunt of work and care taken in handleing nuclear waste is amazing. The waste is carefully buried, and deeply encased in materals to help contain the waste.

The dome that houses the reactors is made of 4-ft thick steel0renforced concrete, lined with lead. THere is no way that if there was a rradioactive leak that the material would be able to excape, unless the reactor was destroyed.

Sure, there are cons to nuclear power, but with the increasing population of the world, we are going to have to look into othere sources of energy aside from coal and (land hogging) wind farms and solar farms. (unless they can become more space-efficent.)

Im with ya the earth is going to be so radioactive its going to blow up! boom and then what? Im going to the moon :)

natej315 said:
Im with ya the earth is going to be so radioactive its going to blow up! boom and then what? Im going to the moon :)

well eventually. But I doubt that it will blow up because of the nuclear waste that we are burying. And don't worry, u have most likely died a very long time before this happens.

Yeah, like I said, I'm all up for Fusion Nuclear Power.
Its the one going on now I'm not happy about.

Anything thats clean and renewable is fine with me :p

What about Chernobyl, the radioactive cloud drifted right up the eastern side of England & when it rained it washed the poison into the fields, even now after 10 years, the grazing sheep can't be used for human consumption, then there's the fact that France have about senenty nuclear reactors, several of which are only thirty or forty miles from our country, & then there's Iran, but that's another story.

Yes, its true. Nuclear power can be far more destructive in the short term than a plant with Coal/Oil could be. Yet, in the long term, all suffer from issues.

Global warming
Coal and Oil shortages,
Burying of nuclear waste.

We'll get there in the end...

Brookfield said:
What about Chernobyl, the radioactive cloud drifted right up the eastern side of England & when it rained it washed the poison into the fields, even now after 10 years, the grazing sheep can't be used for human consumption, then there's the fact that France have about senenty nuclear reactors, several of which are only thirty or forty miles from our country, & then there's Iran, but that's another story.

Thats because they didn't have proper protection at Chernobyl. Same kind of stuff has happened in other countries too, but the radiation has been alot smaller and nothing bad has happened because they knew how important protection was.

True, but it doesn't mean mistakes like that can't happen again in the future.

I did ask a mate about this last night, and he said something like:

"Well, what would you rather have up to now. Everyone suffering and possibly a large number of people dying from the causes of global warming and the melting of ice caps, or a few thousand or less dying from a nuclear fall out?"

he decided on Nuclear being the best form in that case, and wouldn't mind more being made here.

He also said that theres already one in the lake district, and if thats so, theres one not too far from me anyhow.

Reasons for them planting it there was, that if there was a problem there, it wouldn't be near any major cities.

I have to agree nuclear has its beneifts and it they out weigh the cons.

And on Iran its not Iran's doing its America's doing Iran would never be acting like this if it won't be for America on its sides.

Back
Top Bottom