Setting up new hard drive

Veropie

Solid State Member
I need help following the instructions given me by Maxtor tech support (they are below).

* First, install the drive into your system and boot into the BIOS. You will want to check for SATA controllers and make sure they are enabled and that your system can see the drive. Then boot into Windows.

I would use your Disk Management utility within Windows to repartition and reformat the drive. To access Disk Management, right click on My Computer, go to Manage, and then choose Disk Management. Within Disk Management the drive should show in your list of disks (Disk 0,1,2 etc etc). I would delete any partitions that are on the drive. To delete a partition, just right-click on the partition and choose delete. Make sure you're deleting the correct drive. Once the entire drive says unallocated then the drive should be ready to partition and format. Just right click within the Unallocated Space on the drive and choose the New Partition or New Volume option to set up the drive.

What's the issue? Do you know if your hard drive is SATA or IDE? Note: If it is SATA, it will be a small, flat cable going to the drive. If it has a wide flat cable, it's IDE. The most important item, that tech support forgot to mention, is the master/slave issue. Make sure you have your primary hard drive set to master (you do this by placing a small plastic piece on a couple of pins, normally labled MA=Maser, SL=Slave, CS=Cable Select)
You then want to make sure the second drive you are putting in is setup as the slave drive, the same way.

You may want to read this, for a little more info....

Back
Top Bottom