Chimaera's Trivia

:) I know what you mean... in Newfoundland we don't exactly speak like Canadians or Americans as such and went I went to Nova Scotia (another part of Canada)... I got some weird looks too.

GlasseyeUK said:
Car bonnet = hood
Car Boot = trunk
bum bag = fanny pack

When I was in the states, the woman I lived with had 3 kids, and I said that they needed to hoover up as part of their chores, well they looked up at me inquisatively and then cracked up when I explained it was what I called vacuuming.

Thanks for those.

And that Vacuuming story made me laugh :D. Can an American explain why you call it hoovering?

GlasseyeUK said:
Car bonnet = hood
Car Boot = trunk
bum bag = fanny pack

When I was in the states, the woman I lived with had 3 kids, and I said that they needed to hoover up as part of their chores, well they looked up at me inquisatively and then cracked up when I explained it was what I called vacuuming.

Haha, that's like how we say Xerox for something to be photocopied. Or how we refer to most mobile RV's as Winnebagos.

also
UK - America
Pants - Briefs
Trousers - Pants
bottom - Fanny
fanny - (I can't put the definition here without breaking the rules, but it's slang for something only women have)

Thank you Root. I Wont add:
Trousers - Pants.
Because In Australia we say pants and trousers depending on individual background.

Back
Top Bottom