Nuclear power

Kage

Golden Master
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4949096.stm

Reading news reports like the above really hits home to how we are generating energy, with no real way of getting rid of the waste produced.

We all know, every way of creating energy creates some kind of bi-product as a result, even with wind power (though not a bad bi-product exactly) as heat.

The one I'm most concerned about though is Nuclear.

I honestly think we should stop using it. At least in its present form, until the other type of nuclear power starts to generate results (Fusion I think? Which can actually be recycled).

It is just mad to think that after 30 years, the plants produced have to be knocked down, and then all that waste is buried deep underground, where it can and does stay active for thousands of years!

For instance, in the next 50-100 or so years, as coal runs dry, and nuclear power is known more, you could easily be standing on ground with loads of nuclear cans beneath you.

Its got to be the worst way of generating power around, and that is my honest opinion.

Surely, we aren't thinking of what we are doing?

And in terms of safety, even burying it with loads of material to stop the waste escaping, can't be kept forever, as the nuclear waste wastes it away.

Whos with me on this?

Yeah,
And apparently Theres a Crap load of it Buryed In Australian desert's,
-As i live nere woomera, Old millitary Town, I hear Alot of Crap related to it, Ect. although it could all be crap it's self,

But i deffently agree.

All seems a bit like that film , dam wot was its name - the desert and it had all those strange people who had been the effect of a nuclear testing site and killed this family!?

:p i think i'v seen a movie like that, Don't know, if i did, would of been along time ago.

Although they Do put alot of effort into -Keeping it Safe-
_41610372_fin_nucewaste3416.gif

Probly only last for like, al you said, 10 or so generation's,

k, Never herd of it, But alot of movies out there, Something would of clicked in my mind about a movie like it,

Kage said:
We all know, every way of creating energy creates some kind of bi-product as a result, even with wind power (though not a bad bi-product exactly) as heat.

With anti-matter there is no waste product. 100% pure energy. Currently it's just way too expensive to do anything with it.

Kage said:
all that waste is buried deep underground, where it can and does stay active for thousands of years!
Yeah thats the only down side in nuclear power. But I still don't think that nuclear power is bad, we can bury the waste now, and then if someday someone will come up with a way of cleaning it we can just lift the waste out and clean it. If not then it will be just left there, the storage is very safe and the possibility of radiation or something else getting out of there is very small.

Kage said:
Its got to be the worst way of generating power around, and that is my honest opinion.

I have to disagree with this one. The only real problem is the nuclear waste, other than that it's a great way of creating power. Efficient and doesn't pollute the air.

Right now I don't see nuclear waste as a problem, it might become a big problem someday. In my opinion air pollution is currently a bigger problem.
And coal etc will run out, so we really can't just use them as the only energy source we have.

Well, I guess its better for the environment in the short term than coal and oil burning, but in the long term (until someone, somewhere finds a way of cleaning it) which is what I was getting at, it has a very damaging inpact.

What if no one finds a way of cleaning it, and it simply just builds up and builds up?

Plus, even though the scheme is reletiviely safe, keeping it out of harms way, the surroundings do corrode. Maybe not in your life time, but sometime, they'll be an increase in radioactive emissions, purely because one of the shelters has broken through.

Has any body heard of Nuclear Fusion (Or is it Fision)? The safer alternative?

I'm guessing I'm just a bit worried at how careless we are being over this.
Plus, theres all this standard waste, thats just building up in big hills that we can't do anything about, and can't easily (cheaply) get rid of.

In america they have plently of old underground salt mines in the mid western area. In 2008, they intend on began to use the salt mines as storage facautlies for nukeclear waste. They said that one mine can hold enough waste for teh next 100 years. And they got 100s of tehm. Granted they understand America won't be around for 10,000s of years ... However they figure that maybe one day they'll be a use for it, or a way to clean it. Currently teh savest way is to toss it out in space. But thats impractical to say the least.

Theres a waste to use a lot more energy, a lot of that nukeclear waste that gets tossed out is in fact can produce MORE elerticiy granted its not as econimical and it does make very litte money, and the storage costs is cheaper then using it, and more profitable. I think nuke plants should be required to use the energy they have till it is depeleted to a point where you cannot extract any more energy.

Gov should run a program to decrease the need, example during the summer you get a lot sun shine, well toss solar pannels on your roof. Its shining sun, and well it creates elerticity saving on your bills. I saw a show on this, and they said within 5 years solar pannels began generating the owner profit. WHy? Because its pretty much free energy, and theres nothing you really need to do to it and they last for a really long time. This would reduce teh need for power, making power plants make less, and saving money for the consumer.

Theres so many ways to reduce your energy usage without reduceing your living style. Poeple are just to lazy to shove out 30,000 for a solar plannels on their roofs. Which in due time pays for it self, and continues to pay for it self.

Nukeclear power is the way to go,i'm sorry its a scitentific developement, in the past many such theories which some at the time considered radical, and exterme, and not needed are now widely accepted. Sci is Sci and we can't stop our progress or we will simply remain in a stalemate of development. I assure you in your lifetimes you will see things you never imagined you'd see. And why SCIENCE! The progression of Sci is essitinial for our own development. nukeclear as bad as it seems cannot be stopped. Granted it its control porperly which is a difficult task it will only benefit us.

True, its unavoidable, but apart from the waste build up (luckily, at least around here, nuclear isn't a part of the electricity chain, but could easily be in the next 30 years or so) theres also the risk of the plant melting down.

This happens I believe after 30 or so years, where the plant simply starts to collapse somehow, adn a new one has to be rebuilt to replace it.

SOLAR:

I believe that is a good idea, and more people should have solar panels, yet again, most climates wouldn't get anything from it.
Here in the UK for example, we see more rain than sun, and not enough at that to generate enough power to run a light bulb.

I see how this could be really good in America and places like that, and should be used, I agree.

BACK TO WASTE:

I also acknoledge what you are saying about the mines and the fact theres alot of room for all the waste, but its a waste of space, and we need a better way of coping with it.

Hopefully like you say, someone will come with an effective method of making the toxic checmicals clean again, and I hope this happens soon.
Because to tell the truth, this world has had so much grief from energy manufacturing, that were starting to see the problems now, when we should have thought about them before.

NUCLEAR FUSION:

I believe this method of Nuclear power is alot cleaner and more energy efficent. Plus I believe, it doesn't create waste like the ones used now do:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4627237.stm

Back
Top Bottom