Bad idea to use magnetic screwdriver?

EricM

Daemon Poster
Well I think this would be a bad idea, but i just want to confirm it. so would it be a bad idea to use a magnetic screw driver near a motherboard when installing the screws into the metal standoffs?

First off, magnets don't do a thing to the motherboard. About the only thing that could be harmed in a computer useing a common magnet is the harddrive... How easilly, I'm not sure. I know it's not reccomended to use magnitized screw drivers, but I do all the time!

Ahh ok that would make my life a lot easier than if i could use one... i keep dropping the screws inside the case and i dont want to not remember to pick one uppp!

I've always used a magnetic screwdriver and I've never screwed anything up. Maybe I should stop that....

How in the world could a magnitized screw driver damage the motherboard? I mean any screw driver COULD damage the motherboard if used incorrectly :p

The_Other_One said:
How in the world could a magnitized screw driver damage the motherboard? I mean any screw driver COULD damage the motherboard if used incorrectly :p

Because little tiny components cannot stand the charge of being magnetic, so they break!

Its a known fact :p

Back
Top Bottom