CPU heatsink wont fit?!?!?

TRDCorolla said:
Wow, those are nice heatsinks. What I would do is try to force the heatsink to the side where the metal clip is attached to the actual socket (see your first link). Try moving it in that direction as much as you can to lossen it up a little. THen hold it in place while you get a small flathead screwdriver to undo the metal clip.

Yeah, AMD equips their dual-core processors with some pretty nice stock heatsinks. They use heatpipes with a copper core too. :D Not bad...

setishock said:
You know in the pics it looks like the heatsink is sitting on the edge of the ram socket.

it looks like its over the edge of the ram socket in the picture because of the angle i took the picture at. but theres actually plenty of space...

TRDCorolla said:
Don't forget to put the risers on the case so the motherboard can rest on them during installation. It should come in a small bag with a whole bunchof screws in it. Lay it in and screw it down. Once the motherboard is in, you don't want to be taking it back out again. That is why I always test it out before I put the motherboard into the case. When you install Windows, turn on the power and put the Windows CD in there and reboot (CTL+ALT+DEL).

so just leave the mobo outside the case on an antistatic mat and just plug the power cables in and turn it on and make sure everything boots up??? then power everything off and put the mobo in?

alvino said:
Yeah, AMD equips their dual-core processors with some pretty nice stock heatsinks. They use heatpipes with a copper core too. :D Not bad...

how much do you think i could OC this thing with the stock cooler?

THat's good that AMD is improving. I never had anything like that before. I've never seen or hear too much when it comes to OCing dual cores. You probably don't even need to OC it when it runs so good with that extra core.

Well, when you test your motherboard, the power cable from the power supply is inserted into the motherboard slot. To get power, you have to plug the black cord from the PSU to the wall outlet. So yeah, before I final install everything (this is what a tech told me to do awhile back), put the mobo on the antistatic sheet or on top of your motherboard retail box. Have your RAM installed, video card (with the monitor plugged in), CPU, and all case wiring in there. The reason why it's best to do it this way is easier access to motherboard components, easier to hook up case wiring (you know how small they are and you need to be able to read the small words on the motherboard), and simple to troubleshoot if you do need to take something out or rewire your case if something wrong happens.

When everything's plugged in, boot it with the motherboard out on the retail box or antistatic wrap (this will also save a lot of time and frustration if it doesn't boot and you want to start over again. Your motherboard will already be out). Don't worry about the hard drive because it will be blank anyways. Not important. Make sure it goes through POST and then it will stop at a black screen because it can't find a boot agent. Normal. You know it's working. If you have RAM problems, CPU, or video problems, your screen will freeze up from the very beginning, not boot at all, or give you errors.

You can also play with the BIOS too and look at the PC Health status, and other configs for fun. If everything is working good without no errors, then turn off everything (just hit the power button), and carefully put the motherboard in the case. You may want to take out the video card first to make it easier. THen install it again along with the hard drive, DVD burner, floppy, etc. Boot and install Windows.

good info... well i have an antistatic mat that is attached to the case... so it would be bad iif the mobo was on that while it was still connected right?? so i should unconnect that and just leave my wrist strap on right? well i didnt have much of a chance to finish building today...hopefully i will tomorrow.

I don't think that matters. I never use any kind of antstatic materials as long as you ground yourself in some way. You can have the motherboard on the antistatic mat or anything that doesn't conduct electricity. That's why I always set mine on top of the motherboard box itself. Guranteed not to conduct electrical impulses.

Back
Top Bottom