Lot of Help needed (Upgrading a semi-old Computer)

alrite, im sure that 512 mb stick or ram will work, and at about 60 bucks for 512 mb of ram i think thats good
the only thing im unsure of is the graphics card
after looking at various sites addressing what the best PCI card is, most come up with geforce 5200 and ati 9200
the only thing im second guessing is the price, and if my power supply is enough since they say 250w is minimum needed for the ati card
something on the back said 240v, im guessing thats not enough watts for those 2 graphic cards? if it isnt enough what are my options then?

Watts vs Volts aren't the same. But yours will do. Buy the Geforce card and the 2x256MB RAM. Later, you could bust in a few bucks for a P4 2GHz (Socket 423)

is there anyway to find out how many watts my psu has?
i was looking at different psu with the same readings as mine (100-110/220-240 50/60hz) and some were at 450w and some at 145w
i just wanna be extra sure that the card i choose can work on it and i dont blow it up haha

edit: see below

ive decided to go with this card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103167
it checks out right, no problems with psu, except the only thing that bothered me was it saying it needed a windows service pack to run, anyone care to clarify that?

im trying to decide on the memory now, 2x256 sounds good, but i cant find any on newegg that would work on my system and that have a low cost
everytime i think i find one, i go to the manufacturer's website to check the compatibility, and their part numbers always turn up different then the ones on newegg
anyone help me with that?

edit: see, this is the review im talking about

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820159006

great ram for gateway

Comments: Bought 1 stick for an older 1200mhz gateway running with 128mb of ram. Put this new one in addition to the old one and now have 640mb...

Works Great.

on gateways site it says that 512mb is the max, but hes describin a system that sounds just like mine, so i dont know which to believe
if it does fit, i wouldnt know if i can use it with the current 128, or id have to take the 128 out and just have the 512

Celerons cannot game, they have a very small cache, so are useless for gaming.

As lhuser said, a nice P4 would be nice, and then maybe add 1GB RAM, and upgrade the motherboard, and get a nice 6600GT or something like that.

It might be easier to just buy a new computer, it's just dependant on what you can be bothered doing.

none of those can fit, and i cant afford that right now, so thats why im trying to find out whats best to work with what i have

Ahh, well some more RAM, bigger HDD, and new video card.

You would have to play on low settings mind you

Back
Top Bottom