CPU heatsink wont fit?!?!?

Wow, those are nice heatsinks. What I would do is try to force the heatsink to the side where the metal clip is attached to the actual socket (see your first link). Try moving it in that direction as much as you can to lossen it up a little. THen hold it in place while you get a small flathead screwdriver to undo the metal clip.

moving the heat sink wont work as the two clips are attached together to a piece of metal that slides through the heatsink... can i just leave it as it is even though the lever wont close?? its pretty tight and i dont think its going anywhere... or does the lever help force the heatsink down onto the cpu?

Yes, the lever ensures the heatsink is clamped down on the actual CPU and to prevent shifting. If there's no gap between the CPU and the heatsink, you can try powering it on and monitor the temp through the motherboard BIOS. If the temp starts to go way up, then that lever has to go down.

yesss! i got the lever to snap down!!!!! it was super tight to move but i got it to snap down!! so im guessing it good to go then?

The lever shouldn't be that hard to push. I hope you can also take it off again if you have too, for future upgrade sake or replacement. Yeah, do a boot test and see what happens.

Make sure you have the RAM, video card, and case wiring all installed. Double check power supply (on the bacl) that it's set to 115w. Plug the cord into the wall and power on.

it wasnt too hard to press..it would just spring back if i didnt latch it down...

well it only seemed like it wouldnt close because of the spring in the lever that u must overcome first then it easily latched into place! so i tihnk its good now.

Looks like you're finally getting that PC built. I recommend a hard drive cooler. I was just checking out my case with the PC running and just monitoring how everything's running. I touched the HD and it was pretty warm borderline hot. Good thing I had a front fan blowing across it. Especially if you're using those Raptor drives, it's a must have.

hmm well i have got a 120mm fan underneath my HDD... and 2 more 120mm in the case... plus a 80 mm fan.. but ill invest in a HDD cooler... and yes this build was worth the wait!! thanks for your help!

I wouldn't buy them off of Newegg. They're really cheap and you can get them at any computer store like CompUSA, PC Club, and other small mom and pop PC shop. As of now, I lost all track of what's new. Things are coming out too fast and video card technology is just going way over my head. You have the 7300, 7800, 7200, 7100, 7000, 7900, etc. etc, I don't know. Each one have very minor differences. It's a money thing. I haven't heard any news on new processors yet or motherboards. So you're still good to go with what you have.

Back
Top Bottom