Physx Card???

Distortion88 said:
I highly recommend that no one buys these cards when they are initially released. I can guarantee that they will be buggy and newer and better versions will be released shortly after. Besides, the game selection that will be using it will be small for a long time. I think when Half-Life 3 is released that will be an era when these phys-x cards will be fully incorporated into gaming. That's probably when i will buy one anyway...

You mean Half-Life 2: Episode One? That's the sequel to Half-Life 2. VALVe announced that the whole Half-Life series will be brought out in episodes.

Have a look at the real time footage side by side comparison on the page from the supported titles link, the detail is a vast improvement imo.
Also the FAQ has some interesting info

PerfectSK said:
I dont really see why there is such a big hype about it. It justs like when people use cheats on their games to get unlimited lives and stuff like that. Why do you buy a game to just cheat the way through? Stick with a good video card, and leave Physx on the shelf.
i dont think u even know what they are...or what they do...

Kage said:
Surely graphics cards of now? Especially the new ones, have enough processing power to do whats needed anyway? Not to mention people with Dual Cores not being used.

If it was really cheap, then fine, but it doesn't seem like it is...

I disagree about the graphics card part. Games are getting more and more demanding of the GPU. Textures get higher resolution, more polygons, more shader effects, etc.. It would be totally counter-productive to place the physics load on the graphics card.

Now, as for the dual core, THAT is a possibility. But remember, games will start using dual core eventually.. so who knows. I welcome the idea if the performance is really worth while. UT2007 supports it, so time will tell. Epic obviously believes in this company.

PerfectSK said:
I dont really see why there is such a big hype about it. It justs like when people use cheats on their games to get unlimited lives and stuff like that. Why do you buy a game to just cheat the way through? Stick with a good video card, and leave Physx on the shelf.

I don't think you even know what we are talking about, let alone what physics are.

Physics are what makes half-life2 do all the badass things it does, to put it short.

However, all these actions and such are VERY demanding of the CPU, which is why this physics card is coming out. This card will be like a gpu in the sense it will relieve the CPU from calculating it all, thus increasing performance. This is not some dirt cheap cheat that destroys a game, it breathes new life and increases frame rates into them.

True, but from what I've heard about Direct X 10 built cards when they arrive, alot of the calculations like physics will be done on the GPU itself, and won't need an expansion card to add this kind of functionality.

Alos, as more cores start arriving for PC, the idea for a physics card will become obselete, I guarantee it.

its more like a fill in, until more ways appear.

Yea, once multicore CPUs come out, who will care if one of the cores is dedicated to physics. You still have 2 left.

yeh guys this thing may end up good but dont buy it right away...also wait till the price goes down

yeh :( ...but if we think about it guys we have a whole new part of gaming coming....now we have newer things going to happen which can be pretty cool...just gotta drop the stupid price :(

It probably won't be pci x16 because most motherboards have 1 pci x16 slot and the consumer usually uses that slot for a video card.

No one will use that slot for a physx card. I am positive it will be pci.

I actually heard there may be different versions of interfaces.

Back
Top Bottom