Password Protection

The Hypnotist

Solid State Member
I'm running a Windows XP home edition (Service pack 2). I was wondering if there is a way to password protect it, and make a sound / video play if you type in the wrong password.

Thanks a lot.

Are you wanting to protect the whole machine, or just a directory? Windows already plays a little noise to warn you of an incorrect password...

Just the whole machine.

Like, for instance, if you saw Jurrassic Park, when he typed the wrong password, it said "nah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word"

Is there any way to make a video show up?

Well, if it works better, maybe a directory. Is there a way to do it to a directory too/instead?

So, is there any way I could just edit a movie into the registry or something? Or, is this kind of job incompatible with an XP?

don't be surprised if this just breaks your computer...

open regedit, look at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
under this branch there is a key called userinit,

'try' changing this to an exe file, (I'm not sure as you can get it to play a film, unless you launch a film player with a switch to load a movie)...

NOTE...

This is UNTESTED, I DON'T really ADVISE that you try it... DO NOT be surprised if you CAN'T LOGON...

I have warned you...
but if you do try it, then let me know how it goes OK?

Disregard that last post...

it doesn't change the error message, it just mean that instead of starting all the normal processes, (like explorer, it'll just start whatever program you put there).

I left the post intact though, because this is great if you literally just want a web browser or something to be launched...

I chose solitaire,
when you logon the blue logon scren just stays there, when you press copntrol alt delete task manager comes up, and you finally see the desktop...

no icons, no start bar... just solitaire sitting in the background!!

Back
Top Bottom