Umpire Experience

Bahawolf1

Fully Optimized
As some of you may or may not know, as one of my several part time jobs, I am an umpire for Sachem little league. Well, today was a different experience altogether..

Before the game begins, I introduce myself to the coaches and all, and go over the ground rules. The second coach today, I had never worked with. He didn't seem to be a bad guy.. but I was dead wrong.

It was about the 3rd inning, and a ball was hit by the other team (not his), and the 1st base player picked up the ball before it went out of the foul line, so we called it fair (the other umpire and I).

Immidiately after the call, he comes out of the team area and calls a time out and approaches me. At this point, the other umpire comes in as well..

He says, and I quote, 'What the ***k are you looking at? That ball was foul, idiot'. Now, I immidiately take off my mask and I told him if he did not return to the team area, he was to forfeit the game for his entire team.

He goes on to call me a moron, and a kid who knows nothing about ball. After these attacks, I rightfully told him that he had forfeitted the game for his team and that his team lost (this is policy of the league). So, after the call, the team begins to curse me out..

I then go on to tell them that anyone who continues to curse me out is getting written up, and that they should all leave the field. Well, the coach goes on to tell me, 'your **s is grass ***kwad.. good luck being umpire after I call the league'.

Well, I saved him the time, and called the league owner myself on speaker phone nonetheless and told him the story. He said, on speaker, that if the coach wanted to keep his title he would leave in 2 minutes.. otherwise he was done being a coach.

This was by far one of the worst experiences so far..

Bahawolf said:
It was about the 3rd inning, and a ball was hit by the other team (not his), and the 1st base player picked up the ball before it went out of the foul line, so we called it fair (the other umpire and I).

Immidiately after the call, he comes out of the team area and calls a time out and approaches me. At this point, the other umpire comes in as well..

He says, and I quote, 'What the ***k are you looking at? That ball was fair, idiot'. Now, I immidiately take off my mask and I told him if he did not return to the team area, he was to forfeit the game for his entire team.

So you called it fair, and he's complaining that it was fair, did you mean foul somewhere along the lines?

MarxSoccer said:
So you called it fair, and he's complaining that it was fair, did you mean foul somewhere along the lines?

Yeah, I was wondering about the same thing! :D

But Bahawolf, look at the bright side. U just owned him! :)

my dad was umpire, he never had that problem, but yea you can't agrue your judgement he can report you to the poeple that hired you and they'll review the case and if you are bad enough they'll fire you. My dad was refeered once. However he was never fired. IDK if that same thing happens to you.

BTW profissional umepires can get paid up to 500,000 a year I heard.

Oh, he said it was foul.. :p

All the same, in the league that I umpire for, the coaches can not appeal an umpires call and I already called the owner of the league.

I umped one game. They asked me to do it i'm not even an offical ump but i was the only one in the bleachers that knew the game.

I"ll never do it again, i applaud you baha for being able to do it. It's not as easy as it looks.

Lucky i had two very nice coaches and they understood the situation so there was no arguements on my calls hehe...

mammikoura said:
Yeah, I was wondering about the same thing! :D

But Bahawolf, look at the bright side. U just owned him! :)
LOL Good point.. :p

~K-Pow~ said:
I"ll never do it again, i applaud you baha for being able to do it. It's not as easy as it looks.

Thanks.. ;) Honestly, being the field umpire is a lot easier (watching 1st and 2nd base), but the home plate umpire (which is what I do), has a bigger responsibility. We're responsible for watching 3rd base, home plate, and call fair or foul balls, as well as pay attention to the strikes / balls thrown.

Its really not that easy at home plate, but some parents have sons who umpire, so they have expressed their gratitude and understand what the job entitles.

All the same, $25 for 1.5 - 2 hours work, is not all that bad..
It all depends on the coach and players your working with really.

Back
Top Bottom