Need quick responses

squibb

Solid State Member
Help me install my Hard Drive!

Okay, I just bought a 250GB HDD for my family, have it installed and I'm running off of it now. I need to know how to make my 80gb HDD <old one> the slave drive, and have it totally seperate, and be able to choose which HDD to boot up to easily when I turn on my computer.... what do I do :(

Is the old one SATA or PATA? SATA drives, you just pop them in there and that's it. PATA, you'll need to set the drive to Slave, and be sure the other drive is set to master (with slave present if you have the option...)

They're both SATA HDDs, but I can't figgure out what goes where, theres a blue cable that plugs into the mobo and then theres the power cable ...nuffin else really... do I need another blue cable, plug that one into the empty space next to the current one in the mobo and have windows detect everything after that?

I've plugged it in, and they're both detected in the setup menu, but they don't say anything about master/slave. I don't know how to choose which one I get to boot up from when I start up my computer short of turning the other off in the setup, and how do I make my other HDD private or invisible from someone using the master HDD :s?

Someone please answer, yall know alot about computers and I only have a small amount of time to get this set up D:

Well, when you boot up it should say like,

25000 MB SATA
8000 MB SATA

Please choose with partition to install Windows ON,

They've both already had windows installed before I hooked them both up to the mobo, when I start up it just goes normally to the 250gb HDD login screen.... leaving me in a pickle, because I can't log in very easily. Is this because they're not set up as master slave? It's almost like it's treating my F drive <80gb hdd> as a virtual partition or summin :S

Should I be formatting them and reinstalling windows on both so it has them set up as two seperate hdds from the get go? <Oh please god say I don't D: > ...or... should I just pop in the windows disk and reinstall windows on my 250gb or what :x ?

Back
Top Bottom