Guide on installing IIS 6.0

uid=[0]

Daemon Poster
Ok, this is just a quick guide on how to install IIS 6.0 for a web server. This is a basic guide and does not include configuration.

1.Start>Controll Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components.

2.Select Application Server as seen below, and make sure the box is checked.
addorremove.JPG

3.To add optional components such as ASP .NET, FTP Server etc.. select details which will take you to the screen shown below.
iiscomponents.JPG

4.Select the software that best fits the purpose that you will be using this web server for. For example if you need FTP select FTP. Once you have selected all the components you will need select "OK" and proceed with the install.
installing.JPG

5.Once the installation is complete go to Start>Controll Panel>Administrative Tools>Internet Information Services(as seen below)
admintools.JPG

6.Using the IIS Manager you can now see your "Default Web Site", and it should be in the running state, as seen below.
iismgr.JPG

Installation is now complete, and your website is running, configuration and setting this up for public acess is not covered in this guide, and will be needed for future reference.

If the mods/admins would agree to it, possibly make this a sticky? This would be a good beginners guide to installing IIS for the people out there who are looking for a basic guide on how to set up a web server.

Then how would you get IIS 6.0? I went to the website and it said it was no longer available for download because it comes on your pc?

Yes, it comes standard with Windows Server 2003(all versions) Enterprise was used in the screenshots.

for those wanting a web server at home that is capable of serving ASP pages you should check out PWS (Personal Web Server), it's a microsoft program, (that I think) was available under windows 98.

for those who just want a web server who only want to do html/php/perl but NOT asp, you might want to consider Apache webserver

^ Im curious why you would recommend PWS over IIS!!!!

I don't think anything is wrong with IIS.

I've ran many webservers on IIS 4 years+ non-stop (only for HW maint) with no problems. Configure it correctly...keep an eye on patches...and a properly config'ed firewall works wonders.

Back
Top Bottom