Waiting on my new mobo

un4given1

In Runtime
So I fried mine and I'm waiting on the new one in the mail... When I put this in will there be any problems using all my old stuff? Like I know it's all compatible, I checked the specs, but I'm saying like just plugging in the HDD and running Windows on it? Because it's a different mobo. I know new drivers will be needed.

I just dont want Windows thinking that it's running on the old mobo.

You will probably need to do a fresh install of windows, or you will have problems, but it should all work if you compared specs, and all components are compatable.

yeh i would reinstall xp, the best thing 2 do is have 2 harddrives, so ya have XP on 1 and all ya stuff on the other so if anythin does happen like that it doesnt matter if u have 2 reinstall xp, i see wot ya saying about the drivers, if its the same motherboard then it should be ok, but if its diff then i would reinstall xp

You can repair the installation, go into the Windows setup, and when it shows the currently installed operating systems, highlight yours, and press the repair button, I think its "R"

You can then just keep the OS, without any settings messed up.

I keep all my *needed* stuff on an external HDD. Stuff like music, pictures, documents, projects, etc go on the external so all that is good. I do have just a couple things that were on my desktop at the time. :(

I could probably just hook the HDD to my external case, plug it into my lappy and transfer off of there what I need, right?

I'll get the mobo tomorrow and I'll try it out with the repair. Thanks Jox!

joxley1990 has given you the best scenario if you do not wish to format/reinstall windows, sometimes this works, sometimes not. Without more information on your old board and new board it is hard to say. The preferrable method is to format/reinstall.

I have never had a system refuse to boot after swapping hard drives from a different PC. The worst i've had happen is all the drivers not work.. so.. I reinstall all the drivers.. and viola!

But, still.. a fresh install would be recommended to avoid any problems. Just put the hdd in, get your files onto your external, then reinstall. I think that should work out.

when i put a new motherboard in it asked me to put in my cd key again so i phoned microsoft and explained and they just gave me another one, after that i installed the drivers and that was that

Back
Top Bottom