Building new computer...2 options...help me decide which is better!!!

Xiggy

Daemon Poster
amd athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 2.0ghz 512mb L2 cache 2000mhz bus speed
eVGA nforce4 sli mobo (socket 939)
eVGA 7600GT 256mb 128bit 580/1500 pcix16
1gb ddr400 RAM (later getting another 1gb card to make 2gb dual channel ddr 400)
maybe a 20 dollar sound blaster
Raidmax Ninja Case
some power supply that can handle the computer!!!

Cost: Around 600 dollars

pentium 4 prescott socket 775 3.0ghz 2mb L2 cache 800mhz bus speed
eVGA noforce4 sli mobo (socket 775)
eVGA 7600GT 256mb 128bit 580/1500 pcix16
1gb ddr2 667 RAM (later getting another 1gb card to make 2gb dual channel ddr2 677)
maybe a 20 dollar sound blaster
Raidmax Ninja Case
some power supply that can handle this computer!!!

Cost: Around 600 dollars

so which one do u think is more worth it....faster ghz and larger cache and faster RAM....or faster bus speeds???...thx and plz read before you vote!!!

Edit: also guys this game is for computer gaming with games such as F.E.A.R...half life 2.....and battlefield 2....thx

since u want a gaming computer deffinately go with the first setup because amd own intel in gaming, also u said that u were later on getting another 1gb card to make it dual channel...that wont work, if u want dual channel u have to buy them as a set

are u serious??? i always thought if i buy a 1gb card now and an exact one later it would work...oh well i guess i will spend the little extra money right away...thx

edit: i also see u overclocked ur amd 3200+ to 2.5ghz...people say it is very easy and keeps it stable...is this true...also im going to spend the extra 5 bux to get the e6 core...

also my friend with the same mobo im getting says i can use ddr500 memory...should i get it...but im trying to stay cheap so will ddr400 run games fine?...thx

As a die hard Intel fan I voted the AMD option :) , it's true, at present AMD eats Intel for gaming platforms.
DDR 500 will be beneficial if you intend to oc your cpu, but the DDR400 will run things just fine, with a little extra voltage it will keep pace with the oc'd cpu, you'll just need to find the best divider.
I don't know about pricing where you are but I'd look at a better video card if your finances allow say 7800GT or a 7900 series, the 7600 is kinda "old hat" now.
Good luck with your build :)

AMD for your gaming. Easily. Although, just because I like Intel, I would rather take that. Anyways, I voted for the 3200+

thx for the help guys...with that amd setup what grapchics do u think i could play bf2 or similar games like cod2 and etc on???? thx

edit: also if i end up getting another gig and i have (2x1gb) ddr400 dual channel ram what time do u think it would take to load maps on say bf2 and would it keep my computer running that thing on high?? thx

I've never timed map loading but I would say less than 2 minutes, I know this sounds a long time but I have hacked my single player to load 64 player maps, talking anything other than single player brings into play server bandwidth etc which just has to many variables to guesstimate.
With the set up you listed you should be able to play with all settings on high (maybe textures and lighting on Medium to increase frame rate) and my guess at fps would be around the 70+ mark except in heavy smoke/dust where you could drop as low as 40's.
I am basing my assumptions on my hardware performance so they are a general guide only, someone with a system with closer specs may be able to give you a more accurate reference.

Back
Top Bottom