thinnest dvd ever

lhuser said:
These piece of paperwill bring me nothing but problems. The only good use I find is if you don't want anyone getting the DVD, by ripping it. Piece of paper guys!

It would be like floppys. Have you ever tried to rip a floppy drive? (I think you meant physically atleast)

You cant do it. It's really hard.

As long as its made out of durable material it should be fine.

Kage said:
25gb one sided, 50gb dual layer. Yep, not bad at all :D

I think they'll be the future.

Even though DVD is more known to the public, I think HD-DVD is a rip off.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray both use blue lasers. I'm more for HD-DVD. Sure, Blu-Ray has great storage space, but it's just too expensive. It'll be a niche product with consumers, just like Betamax (which was invented by Sony by the way). Expect to see about 10%-20% increase in price with games and movies using Blu-Ray, thanks to it's completely different, and expensive manufacturing process. Imagine that...the PS3 already being that expensive and notoriously difficult to program with, now you have spend even more on games because of Blu-Ray (next-generation games will be more expensive due to the increase in work the developers have to do in order to make them).
HD-DVD is more consumer friendly and it balances that with decent storage capabilities. What is it? 10gb single layer? 25gb dual-layer? Something like that. The manufacturing process is similar to that of the DVD, so price increase will only be minor.
HD-DVD is more in mind for the financially bound consumer, while the Blu-Ray is more future-proof. It's just too far ahead of it's time, like the Cell processor and the PS3. Not to mention expensive...

True, but wouldn't the manufacturing process of bulk stock lower prices after a while just like with DVD? Remember how expensive that used to be when it first appeared? :p

It is true though in that respect, I have to agree. I have to dissagree that the cell or the Blu-ray disk is ahead of its time though.

Holographic discs are going to be ahead of their time :p

Go back 10 years and say DVDs have 4.7 GIGs they'll say WHY DO YOU EVER NEED 4.7 GIGS OF SPACE?

One day we'll be asking ourservles what we would do without blu ray!

I believe blu-ray at first will be a niche product frankly i'm looking forwrd to installing the blu-ray burner on my computer I could back up so MANY FILES on such a small disc.

Kage said:
True, but wouldn't the manufacturing process of bulk stock lower prices after a while just like with DVD? Remember how expensive that used to be when it first appeared? :p

It is true though in that respect, I have to agree. I have to dissagree that the cell or the Blu-ray disk is ahead of its time though.

Holographic discs are going to be ahead of their time :p

Even at mass manufacturing, the Blu-Ray disc is still expensive to produce. It's not like HD-DVD, where you just modify the manufacturing process a bit and everything is up and running.

The Cell is pretty advanced. Very high floating point capabilities thanks to it's 7 SPE cores (which aren't actual general CPU's like the Xbox 360's Tri-Core). It'll do well in military applications, like artillery or bombing coordinates, or situational battlefield strategies or tactics. It's somewhat like a miniature supercomputer. However, as powerful it may be, it doesn't mean it's good at everything. Developers generally don't use floating-point power as a factor when making games. It's general processing power that's most important. About Blu-Ray, it's still a little ahead of it's time. It would be a great sucessor to HD-DVD, especially since it would have the time to fully utilize it's manufacturing process and mass produce cheaply.

Haha, Holographic Discs are ahead of their time...although it'll really do some good in the corporate/server sector. It's just not practical for desktops and normal consumers.

dang, thats a thin dvd disc; however, it seems like they arent going to be meant to be handled like a dvd. they said they could fit a 100 of them in a 2.5 inch cartridge making a tb of space, could be usefull for servers..........maybe they will call them an optical softdrive?

bending, yes it is, that because it's not thick enough to be ridgid...

this won't affect the performance though since once it's spinning the centrefugal force will pull the edges out as far as they will go straightening it out.

How many could you fit into a dvd case... well currently you can stack about 3 in one case, it's 1/13 the thickness... so I reckon you'd fit about 39 into a single case...

The point, well aside from a reduction in weight, (which may be a huge concern to someone who is say a DJ carrying perhaps 1000 cd's to an event).
ther is also the space saving issues, and like the article said, the possibility of putting a load in a single cartridge case to make some kind of uber disk...

TBH, I can't see it being any less scratch resistant than a regular DVD, and I'm also positive that if they wanted, they (they being the manufacturers) could make cd's and DVD's more scratch resistant, (but them you woudn't go out and buy more would you!)

Back
Top Bottom