Can someone make me a guide real fast?

Half Evil

Golden Master
I would like a guide on how to create a server for personal use. I would like to take my old computer...

Dell 4300
P4, 1.6ghz
40gb hard drive
256sd ram

And I would like to somehow, link it with my computer. I dont exactly need to type in a URL. Just network it maybe. But, should I buy an ethernet card and do that, or can I let it run all night, and use a modem? I want to try and make this a backup computer. So I have no idea where to start. Just some insight would be nice.

For starters, any computer can be a server so there are no adjustments to hardware to specifically make it a server per se.

Think about what kinds of things you want this server to do and decide whether you will have the physical resources to accomplish this. If not, buy the neccessary equipment to upgrade your server.

For connection, I would use a network card and hook it up to your router/switch to network it with your other computer.

Use a static IP address in your network's range (usually 192.168.1.xx) and be sure to exclude it from the DHCP server on your router if you have one.

Once you find out what "service" you want to use the server for, find the correct server application and install it. Apache or IIS are web server applications. MySQL or MS-SQL are SQL servers. etc. Do the appropriate configurations.

If using a router with NAT enabled, forward the ports associated with that service to your server's IP address.

It would also be alot easier for you if you used a dynamic DNS account and associated your external IP address with an easy to remember name. Try no-ip.com or dyndns.org.

Once you set up the dynamic DNS on the server using the instructions on the website of the DDNS service you chose, try to connect to your server using the name provided to you by the DDNS service.

If there is anything I'm being to vague about or you're just lost let me know.

Yes, you need a NIC. Are you wanting to access your files from anywhere or are you just needing a local file server to act as a Backup repository?

Well, I suppose anywhere on the two computer network. I want to take files from computer A, (mine) and put them on computer B (old dell). So, I think just a direct connection would be possible?

ArrizX said:
Well, I suppose anywhere on the two computer network. I want to take files from computer A, (mine) and put them on computer B (old dell). So, I think just a direct connection would be possible?

If this will be a computer, that will not be able to be accessed from outside your network, just set up file/print sharing, and then share the C: drive. however when you try to access it you will need to do it like this...

\\OTHERCOMPUTER\C$

that will be the fastest, and easyest way to do it. other option. get an ftp server. you dont need a web server to do it. just a way to transfer files from one computer to the other.

Back
Top Bottom