Installing a new GPU, need advice

"earth" yourself means to ground yourself out on a piece of metal. Generally, touch the metal part of your case every 30 - 40 seconds when working with hardware.

NOTE: If you don't have the driver disk or the newest drivers for your card, before you do anything... Download them from the nVidia site and have them on your desktop (recommended)

1) Uninstall drivers in safe mode.

2) Unplug everything from your computer (externally, because LAN cables etc.. prodoce electricity)

3) Lay your case down so that your mother board faces upwards ( do this on a non-static surface such as wood or linlolium) and take off the side of the case.

4) Ground yourself

5) Unplug the internal video card power cables (if any)

6) Ground yourself

7) Remove the video card, making sure that you unclip it and then safely remove it.

8) Place old video card in a plastic zip lock bag and then into a safe, hard container.

9) Ground yourself

10) Install the new video card

11) Ground yourself

12) Connect required cables

13) Reassemble case and other parts

14) Plug everything back in and make sure EVERYTHING is plugged in.

15) Boot into safe mode, put driver disk in or do as I noted, and install new video drivers.

16) Reboot, and configure your video settings...

17) Go do whatever it is you want with your new video card... I recommend running bench marks for stability. :D

You can also just disable your old video card drivers from hardware manager instead of just unistalling them. This way, in case you mess up on something, you can just enable your old video card drivers, and stick it back in.

IRQ's man, when you install new hardware, you are assingning it to an IRQ. Video Cards have a predesignated IRQ, and if you dont tell your system that your taking the old one out, there could be a mish mash in the IRQ, resulting in conflicts between hardware devices.

whoa thanks for the replies, Really help! :D. Should i wear gloves for this, would it matter at all if i did lol sorry so scared a getting shocked happond to me before when i was installing my ram lol i fel over and triped over my chair i was standing infront of lol.

Back
Top Bottom