ATI help

Nesa

Baseband Member
Hey, well this is my first post and I really need some input from you guys out there for this one.

Well here is the story, I was unscrewing a computer-to-calculator connecting cable from the back on my case and had to use a screwdriver to unscrew it. Anyway, when I was unscrewing I slipped smacked the case with my screwdriver, not too hard but it did hit it. Now I'm not sure if this is what caused the troubles or it was because I just unscrewed it without uninstalling any of the software which was needed for the cable to work.

Next tiem I turned on my computer it would just load asking for the safe mode, start windows normally or start with the last known settings that worked screen.

Anyway none worked for me except for the safe mode (with networking) as when I chose any of the others my screen would just turn off (not turn off but go as it would when you make your computer go into sleep mode).

So after two reformats (1st one was wierd) I was installing everything again. When it got to my ATI drivers, it just did not work... (I have a Powercolor 9600XT graphics card with a Asus Mainboard - P4P800 Deluxe)

I get this error when trying to install the display driver:

error.jpg

and when it restarts my monitor would do the same old *turn off* (to sleep like mode).

Now, I am looking at getting a new graphics card, would this be the right thing to do or would it be my motherboard or what?

Any opinions?

Thankyou very much.

Firstly I'd reseat the video card in the agp slot, you may have jared the case enough to loosen it. Check all the connections from the card to the monitor. When you say you "hit the case" did you by any chance hit the monitor plug on the card? check that to see if anything has been broken. Safe mode with networking will boot because it loads only the basic vga drivers.
What Cats are you installing? I've read many posts on other forums where it is stated the Cat 6.4 are a mess, I would suggest you try installing the 6.3's
As to the new card it all depends on your monetary situation, if you can afford to upgrade your cpu to Intel 775 or AMD 939 (or similar) then now is the ideal oportunity (if you can't fix your present problem that is). If money is tight then look for another AGP card, the 7800GS series of nVidia cards are not too shabby by all accounts amd will give you SM 3.0 which your current card does not support.

Well I'm not that good at computers but I'll give it all a look.

I've tried a few Cat drivers but Ill get the 6.3 now and let you know how it went.

Thankyou

Deathstar would there be a chance that I have to replace my motherboard aswell?

Or just the graphics card?

Look whats your mobo get the new drivers for your AGP slot maybe that is causing some problems

Nesa said:
Deathstar would there be a chance that I have to replace my motherboard aswell?

Or just the graphics card?
I hope for your sake you won't have to change anything, there has been no major problem, just a little bump, I seriously doubt it is more than the card being loose in the agp slot. If you do have to change the card there are agp cards available so your m/board will be fine unless you want to change your cpu etc, which is virtually a system rebuild. Don't forget to turn off your pc and unplug it before you dive inside
Unplug the monitor cable, there is a small slider that locks the agp card into the slot, (I think there is on that board anyway, I've only worked on that model once) move that away from the rear of the card toward your hdd's, unscrew the the retention screw at the rear of the card, remove the card from the agp slot (NOTE: do not touch the gold contacts on the card, human skin oils kill contact) then reseat it close the agp lock, replace the retention screw at the back, plug it in, reconnect the monitor and fire it up in safe mode, the "Found new hardware Wizard" should kick in, install your drivers and let us know how you go.

Yay, well here's how it went...

I took a dive into my comp and reseated the card much to my suprise it all worked...

and at the same time cleared all of the dust out of it so it sounds all good now :D

so I turned it on, installed the cat 6.3 and wa-lah

it works... no errors... all running smooth

so a big thankyou to NeXuS and Deathstar for all of your help :D

saved me some money

Thankyou

Nesa said:
Yay, well here's how it went...

I took a dive into my comp and reseated the card much to my suprise it all worked...

and at the same time cleared all of the dust out of it so it sounds all good now :D

so I turned it on, installed the cat 6.3 and wa-lah

it works... no errors... all running smooth

so a big thankyou to NeXaR and Deathstar for all of your help :D

saved me some money

Thankyou
Kool your card got fixed :p NeXuS btw :p

Back
Top Bottom