Comuter just... cut off. :(

un4given1

In Runtime
Okay so I'm just doing some photo editing and all of a sudden my comp cuts off. Monitor is still on, everything around me is, so I know it's not a power failure.

So I try turning it back on, it wont. Wait a few seconds, try again, it comes on for less than a second and wont stay on. Thinking possible overheating (didnt notice any fans go quiet though) I waited a few minutes, tried again and same thing.

Any suggestions?

Try unplugging the actual power cord from the back of the PSU for a moment. Then plug it back in to see if it will turn on. Rest it for a minute or so. If it is a cooling problem, let the PC cool down (take a break or something) and turn it on again later to see if it works.

What I would is open up the case first thing. Tough the heatsinks on the sides to see if they're burning hot. I mean when you touch it, it's as hot as touching a hot clothing iron. When you turn the PC back on, monitor all the fans to see if they're all rotating. Blow out some dust while you got the side panel or the case open. If it never turns on, possible PSU failure...

Well, we moved in a new house about a year ago. When u move in u rush to hook everything up, thats just what we did with my step moms work computer :X , well we had some storms, the computer started but the screen stayed off, the computer powerd on but sent no signal to the monitor, all she got was mb damage and hard drive... maybe thats your problem, best guess sounds like what happend with us

If the computer doesn't start at all like it's dead in the water, most likely it's the power supply. It doesn't affect the monitor in any way. It will keep on getting continuous power from it's independent power source. Smell the back of the PSU and see if you detect any kind of burning smell.

Okay, went and played some paintball for a few hours (had rear power switch off entire time) came back and it is still doing this.

Doesn't APPEAR to be a power supply, but not sure. Mobo or CPU?

I included a video here...
http://files.mebreezy.com/uploaded/100_0389.MOV

Edit: sorry file is 30mb, but i dont have video compression software on this laptop.

I saw the video and when you press the power button nothing happens. If you wouldn't of been working on the PC and it cut off i'd telly ou to check the connections on the mobo however they are most likely correct. How old is the computer? Frankly I know this may seem a bit idoitc to ask. But is it plugged in? I've had this happent o me and I was so that it was the computers fault and not my foot it wasn't funny. My dad comes in and is like its unplugged and i'm standing there like ****. If its plugged in I think its the PSU, i've had a problem simliar it was my PSU, it'd get overloaed and popp out, try smelling your computer. I highly doubt the mobo overheated or the CPU, is the CPU a AMD or a INtel? It its a AMD I'm venturing a gueses that it could be possible that it burnt out because of fan failure, but if you have your mobo set to turn off at 60c for AMDs like mine it'd shut down. Again feel your computer up touch the heatskin at worst its teh CPU at best its the unplugged cord. Make sure connections are tight but I doubt its the connections as well.

It's an AMD 3400+, watercooled so no fan on the CPU. I do have in the bios for it to shut off after like 60 or something like that. But it's been off so now it's cooled.

I tried smelling it as well, doesn't smell like anything. I'm checking everything out and it all looks good. I checked the power cables, all good there as well.

If it's the PSU is there any way to test it out? I'm prayin' it's the PSU because I hate ****in' with my system with those water lines in there. I mean, I can do it, put it in there, but I'd prefer not to touch it. Also on that note I wanted to upgrade the PSU anyways because of noise.

I dont game but I do the occassional video/image editing... What PSU should I get? I'm 'boutta run to CompUSA to get a PSU and I'll try that out.

450-500 watts should be good. Frankly if its watercooled it didn't overheat. Unless somthing sprang a leak, but then i'd imagine your hear the sparkes of eletricly contacting with water.

Back
Top Bottom