Pentium 4 Socket

Fisher

Fully Optimized
How can I tell what socket a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz is just by looking at it? infact what info can i find out about it just by looking at it.

if its old, then its 478, if its kind of new then its 775, get CPUz, it tells u on there

Williamette, Northwood, Gallatin and early Prescott cores used Socket 478, but current Prescotts use Socket LGA-775.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Smithfield core. Those were in the Pentium D 8xx processors. There's also the Presler core which was in the Pentium D 9xx processors. Both of those are also Socket LGA-775

Socket 478:

P42266B478-unit.gif

LGA775

Lga775cpu1sm.jpg

Yeah, LGA-775 processors have that stepping around the metal plate that protects the core. It's there because of the plate that comes on on top to hold down the processor, since it doesn't use the traditional ZIF socket.

I cant use cpuz because I only have the processor and motherboard. Its socket 478. thank you lhuser those pictures helped. its a 2.8 ghz so what core would it likely to be? how much do you think it would fetch on ebay?

Me and lhuser experts on S478 :p:p

another way is if you open your case, take off the heatsink and it will have some numbers and letter at the top of your CPU, on 478 boards, the letters and numbers are

mPGA478B

Just look for the numbers (in bold) and thats your socket number.

Back
Top Bottom