Installing XP for first time.....

LUCC

Beta member
Hello All:
I am reinstalling Windows XP on my Dell Dimension 4550 for the first time. I had to delete everything off my hard drive due to a virus. :( So now I need some guidance on how to install XP and what not. I need to partition the hard drive, what should I use FAT or NTFS? After installing XP what exactly do I need to do to get connected to the Internet? I have Verizon DSL already and need to know what I have to do to reconnect. I have a Dell ResourceCD and the driver CD, would I need to reinstall any of these items?
I'll have more questions in the future.
Thanks! ;)

I dont know how your bios is setup....so when you restart the computer and see the blue DELL screen, keep tapping DELETE (or F8) and that should bring up the BIOS. Make sure its set to boot from DISC and have your installation disc in the drive. Then restart and it should walk you through the windows setup. Partition the drive for NTFS would be your best bet. If you have DSL, then you probably have a modem of some sort. Just plug the ethernet cable in, and the computer should find the settings itself.

It's fairly easy to connect to the internet with Windows XP... but how can you be reinstalling XP if you haven't had it on your computer before? Run a full install instead of upgrade and that should remove the files... DSL is pretty easy to setup..

You can do it in "Network Connections" probably as a "Local Area Connection", I dunno, my aunt has DSL on a L.A.C on Windows XP.

I had a virus and couldn't get rid of it so I wiped out my hard drive. Now, I have to re-partition the hard drive using NTFS and then perform a full install of XP. Do I need to install a Network Interface Card and drivers from my Dell ResourceCD or any drivers :confused: I would call Dell but they freakin' charge $100 for a 3 day-pass for software support!

Lol, well it looks like you used to have the Verizon on the old comp, so why would you need to get another NIC? Once you do a fresh install of Win XP, it should detect all your hardware, including your modem/NIC. However, keep the ResourceCD handy, in case there might be something Win XP doesnt detect by itself. I,too, have Verizon so all you would need to do is have the Verizon internet cd that came with your modem, handy as well.

Back
Top Bottom