Wireless Internet Connection

dontknowanythin

Beta member
How does this work? Couldnt somebody use my internet connection,, if so is there a problem with that? Couldnt they use my Ip address or does that stay with just me. I am new to all this, in fact just got a computer with the capability. Or dont i have to worry about it because if i am reading right they have something called a mac address i cant find my mac address? how do i do that? Can somebody swipe things off my computer using my connection? maybe better off use broadband connection??

Thanks for all replies

If your wireless connection is not secure, then yes, someone could view the data you are transmitting, and they could use your conncetion. Is there a problem with that? Depends on you. The IP address you get will be directly from the router. Since it is coming from a router, it's whats called a private IP address. No one else will get it. Do some reading on WEP encryption. Also, research the wireless standards.
As for the MAC address, your wireless card does have one. Every piece of hardware networking device has them (network cards, usb network cards, wireless cards, etc). It's kind of like a SS for a human. It doesn't matter about the connection, your only as safe as you know. Safety is up to you, and if your new to computers, welcome to a world of problems and solutions. I would advise you to get a couple of books on computers, preferrably an A+ book. You can learn a lot from a book- and Google. Google is your best tool.

Wireless is not secure at all. to the average person. YES IT IS, but to the persistance of a true hacker if they plan on using your network for malicious purposes. they will get in. if your going to use security on it at a minimum use WEP, but WPK is a little better.

Back
Top Bottom