AMD Dethrowned. Intel Steps up.

What kind of motherboard do you need to have that kind of CPU? I'm not to familar with the Itanium, however, it does look like an interesting processor nonetheless. alivino might you be so kind as to share some information with us?

Itanium seemed like a good idea, I wonder why it was a flop? It looks like a great CPU, although this Montecito looks like an even better version, hopefully with Conroe and Merom as backing up for it, because they all share the Core Architecture, hopefully this will be a much better CPU then it's failed predocessor.

In either case, maybe the Montecito will be the new Server CPU to beat, as oppossed to the Xeon and Opteron. Did Intel ever make mention if the Montecito/Itanium2 will be available in Quad-Core?

Probably not a big enough market for it.

Intel's upcoming quad-cores aren't even based on the Itanium IA-86 architecture. In fact, they're based on the Core Microarchitecture.

Desktops

Conroe - First eighth-generation desktop chip, 65 nm, dual-core, 4 MB L2 cache
Allendale - Dual-core, cut-down Conroe with 2 MB L2
Kentsfield - Quad-core MCM, consists of two Conroes, with 4 × 4 MB L2
Millville - Single-core, cut-down Allendale with 1 MB L2
Ridgefield - Dual-core, 45 nm shrink of Conroe, with 6 MB L2
Wolfdale - dual-core, 45 nm shrink of Allendale, with 3 MB L2
Perryville - single-core, 45 nm mobile and desktop processor, 2 MB L2
Yorkfield - eight-core MCM, 45 nm, 12 MB L2, successor to Kentsfield

Servers and workstations

Woodcrest
- First eighth-generation server and workstation chip, 65 nm, dual-core, 4 MB L2 cache
Clovertown - Quad-core MCM, consists of two Woodcrests, with 4 × 4 MB L2
Clovertown-MP - MP-capable version of Clovertown
Tigerton - Quad-core, MP-capable. Originally, instead of Tigerton, a processor codenamed Whitefield was intended to launch. Whitefield would have been a true quad-core (i.e. not an MCM) and would have used the Common System Interface bus. The differences between Whitefield and its replacement, Tigerton, are unknown at the time of this writing.
Harpertown - Either a dual-core, 45 nm shrink of Woodcrest, or an eight-core, 45 nm MCM with 12 MB L2
Dunnington - Four to thirty-two cores, successor to Tigerton

Seems like Intel is really going for a huge assualt in the CPU world. Look how many desktops they have, and how many servers *drool*. Intel has definetly put their 'game face' on and appears to be goign for an all out assualt to blow AMD completely out of the water. With this kind of setup, it appears that AMD is suffering. Just look at that, 45nm, 8 cores, will it ever stop?

I only see AMD winning if they can launch a wave of Multiprocessing CPUs, not multicore CPUs. At this rate, Intel will have a 16 core CPU in 5 years, that's ridiculous, we need multiprocessing CPUs, not multicore CPUs!

In either case, with that product line-up, AMD's competetion just got much, much bigger. ;)

TRDCorolla said:
OMFG, delayed again?!?! Man, I had my hopes of them coming out later this year. WHat the crap is Microsoft doing? Haha, maybe they're trying to integrate WinFS finally. That would be worth the wait.

Hi,

the WinFS is a really interesting one filesystem. I've came upon a place where you can get some useful info on it. If you wish, you can also give it a look.
http://www.ntfs.com/

Back
Top Bottom