How long can CPU run w/out fan?

kocheez75

In Runtime
Just curious, as I was trying to set up my system, I didnt want to keep having to mount and remove the stock amd fan (that thing is a bitch to get off), so I just had the fan plugged in, but not on top of the CPU. I never ran it for more than 10 seconds (though it got pretty hot). About how long do you think it would take to damage a CPU without a heatsink?

kocheez75 said:
Just curious, as I was trying to set up my system, I didnt want to keep having to mount and remove the stock amd fan (that thing is a bitch to get off), so I just had the fan plugged in, but not on top of the CPU. I never ran it for more than 10 seconds (though it got pretty hot). About how long do you think it would take to damage a CPU without a heatsink?

it'll run forever. Just take the fan off, provides more space. what really cools it is the little pipes in the cpu...

:)

With a latest processor, you'd damage it, or at least get it to a danger point below 10 seconds easily without a heatsink, since without a heatsink, theres no taking out of any heat, so the chip is just getting hotter and hotter.

Without a fan, the heat isn't being expelled properly from the heatsink, so heat build up will still occur, and still rather fast.

I've seen a video where they took the heatsink of, and it started smoking after about 3 seconds. Thats how bad it can get.

Without a fan, I wouldn't be so sure, but I wouldn't do it at all to be honest.

PENTIUM:

With Pentium CPU's, they do have a temperature limiter though, and if it exceeds a certain temperature, slows down the core, etc, until the core reaches safe temperature levels, and this can save ALOT of CPU's with for example sudden fan failure.

If yours was one with that feature, though still not compltley safe to do so, you probably wouldn't be able to damage it.

You'd just receive a really really really slow computer that hardly works, until you connect it back up.

One thing: A guy, once installing XP on a P4, shutted down. It didn't throttle and the CPU was at 95C

Yeah, don't se CPU without heastink and fan. The ONLY CPUs that could do is the olde 8088 to Pentium processor. Even still, my Pentium CPU has a heastink, but no fans.

ha, I was helping my friend clean his wiring on his comp, and when we were done he forgot to plug the CPU fan cable back to the mobo, but he didnt remove the actual fan, so the heatsink was still there. Anyways we turn it on and it loads up without a problem, so we use it for a good 3 min before it just shut off. We checked the mobo bios and saw that the Cpu was really hot, and found the problem afterwards. oh yeah, he had an AMD athlon xp i think.

Ok unlesse your doing it as a experminent don't do it. And even if you do it as a experiment I can tell you without a heatskin and a fan its its a AMD it burns, and it burns fast. If its intel it just shuts down. Theres no point in not running it with a heatskin.

Back
Top Bottom