URGENT help with computer

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
I was using my computer (windows 98, 96 mb ram, PII) this morning when my wireless card stopped working. I opened up the program, and my network came off the auto-connect list. I re-added it, and my computer froze up. I rebooted, and it went fine until the computer was done loading, at which point it froze up again. I rebooted with the card disconnected, and the same thing happens. How do I fix this? I would prefer not to have to re-format the HD as the guy I got the comp from didn't wipe the Hard Drive before hand, and I have a really good anti-virus program that I can't re-install. All my data was backed up about 2 weeks ago, so I would have to re-backup everything.

Uumm...you tried looking in running processes?

Try re-installing the wireless card software, scan for virus's, the usual.

Have you tried putting the wireless card in a different slot?

joxley1990 said:
Uumm...you tried looking in running processes?

Try re-installing the wireless card software, scan for virus's, the usual.

Have you tried putting the wireless card in a different slot?

It usb, and the comp will not work, so I can't do anti-virus, and what not. (but I did lask night.)

try booting into safe mode to see if you can get in that way.

Just press F8 during the start up.

wood_workur said:
It usb, and the comp will not work, so I can't do anti-virus, and what not. (but I did lask night.)

You might of deleted some sort of Windows or BIOS file last night..can you boot into safe mode like K-pow said?

joxley1990 said:
You might of deleted some sort of Windows or BIOS file last night..can you boot into safe mode like K-pow said?

but it was working this morning. Once I get my comp working, I'm buying a good card, not the POS one that hooks into USB. (PCI, here I come!! besides, USB is for Ipods, joysticks, mice, and what not. NOT FOR YOUR COMPUTER HARDWARE)

wood_workur said:
but it was working this morning. Once I get my comp working, I'm buying a good card, not the POS one that hooks into USB. (PCI, here I come!! besides, USB is for Ipods, joysticks, mice, and what not. NOT FOR YOUR COMPUTER HARDWARE)
i would rather suggest you to buy a new computer. Your computer is uterly and disturbingly old.

Scythe said:
i would rather suggest you to buy a new computer. Your computer is uterly and disturbingly old.

I would LOVE to, but I can't afford to. My computer actually runs pretty well compared to some of our other comps, and It runs Autocad fine, which is the biggest program I use.

Back
Top Bottom