Intel Celeron M 3.0GHz Beats AMD Athlon 64 FX-60

alvino

Golden Master
Insane...a $150 processor is capable of performing just as well if NOT BETTER than a top-of-the-line processor costing $1,000+! Just insane...read on please. :D

X-Bit Labs said:
However, some hardware enthusiasts are still getting down to exciting Yonah overclocking experiments while waiting for the Conroe. Especially, since there are more and more desktop mainboards in the market that support mobile Core Duo and Pentium M CPUs and the price of these mainboards keeps dropping. A famous overclocker aka Coolaler posted some results of his overclocking experiment performed on a 0.065micron Celeron M version when this baby reached 2.6-3.0GHz core frequency in an AOpen i975Xa-YDG mainboard based on i975X chipset and equipped with a powerful air cooler. The results of the SuperPI benchmark are given in the table below:

I would like to stress that 21 seconds for PI calculation is a typical result for such CPUs as Core E6600 (2.4GHz) or dual-core Athlon 64 FX-60 overclocked to over 3.0GHz. I think you would agree that it is a more than impressive result for a CPU worth less than $150 – Celeron M 420 (1.6GHz). Its performance, as well as overclocking potential are truly remarkable here. I only wish that we didn't have to hunt for specific $200-mainboards to be able to use this CPU in our desktop platforms.

X-Bit Labs News:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/web/display/20060418124251.html

Coolaler's Article (note: the site is in Chinese, but the benchmark pictures are there.
http://www.coolaler.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=418

Please keep in mind that this is the Intel Celeron M (Mobile) Processor. It uses the 65nm process and is basically the stepped down version of the Core Duo/Solo.

Ouch, that's gotta take a serious shot to the FX-60. getting beat by a CPU that is only 1/10th of it's cost. That sucks for AMD. in either case, the new Merom will be even better, so we should wait and see what happens when that comes out later on this year. :)

aghhhhh nooooooo amd is gonna die for a while! well, i know where im buying stocks! (hint; its not intel) remember, buy cheep!

damn, i want a conroe core! i wonder what the ee edition conroes can do, at like 4ghz.

The XE Conroe will be 1333Mhz FSB and run at 3.33Ghz. So it wont be much of an overclock. Cant wait till they come out and for someone to put on some DICE.

The Extreme Edition of the Conroe will more then likly be able to hit 6GHz off of water cooling or LN2. Given that the Netburst Architecture was able to hit I believe a maximum of 5.4GHz or somethign near or around that. Plus, here's an interesting chart dipicting the overclock difference between Netburst Pentium 4 and Core Architecture on the Conroe. :)

multicore_efficiency.jpg

From the looks of it you can see how much less voltage is required to maintain a suffient overclock, and how much of an improvement in performance you'll see when overclocking. :)

6Ghz on core? Hard to believe. HKEPC only has their's at 3.1Ghz. The northbridge needs to accept the high FSB too. So 5Ghz would be around right as core isnt made to go with high clock speeds.

Back
Top Bottom