Finally Gonna Do It!

xguynameddavex

In Runtime
:D

Alright, i figured it would happen eventually, im going to throw a different OS on another partition on my HD. Im really new to this and i have no experience with other os's, but i grew up with dos, so it shouldnt be too difficult. If i have any problems, i figure i can just come back to you guys on this partition! :)

Any suggestions on which one to use, redhat, ex ex, you know all of them, which one do you think i should go with? I would prefer medium difficulty in learning it, im up for a challenge :D

Are you looking for stability, or useability? What kind of OS are you looking for? Advanced Configuration? Normal Desktop Use?

Im looking for something with alot of useability, i want something that i can learn from, and it will help me with any other operating system that i would run into. I want a challenge! :) not nescessarally advanced configuration, i want something thats going to give me a challenge, but that i can also jump online and find an easy answer if i have a problem (online, i really meant here :D)

For decent desktop use, I would suggest SuSE(by novel), VectorLinux, Or Mandriva formerly known as Mandrake(all linux) However I would suggest trying out a live cd distro first so that you can try it out and play around with it etc.. without making changes to your partition. the install is wayyyyy different than windows. fdisk for example is mostly command line. i have seen a few that are gui but most are not, and i would hate to see you whipe out your drive unintentionaly. And on that note. Windows doesnt like to share the MBR with linux. you will probably have boot problems. Dedicated computer to the new os is your best choice aside from a live CD

i suggest zenwalk linux 2.2. it is a derivation of slackware linux that is a little more difficult than the average linux so there is your challenge. it is made to be small and fast (great for small partitions and older computers), and geared towards internet browsing, multimedia, and development(programming). i'm using it now and it is very nice, haven't found a thing i can't do here that i can on windows. other than that any linux will be nice. go to distrowatch.com and look around. there are over 200 seperate distrobution of linux, eacch geared towards a different user group. most common are ubuntu, suse, fedora(formerly redhat), and mandriva(formerly mandrake). hope this helps.

Thank you guys! :) i think i am going to go with zenwalk 2.2, because like i said i do want to put it on a partition, and it sounds like that would work best with windows, i dont have anything on here that i really care about besides the usuals, trillian, limewi** :D

I Tired installing knoppix to a partition on my external hd but it gave me a dialog prompt ive never seen before so I couldnt do it lol

Ubuntu is very nice, very simple, but has alot of advanced features if you want them. Very fast...check that out..

Im using partition magic right now creating a seperate partitions for linux, its taking a while. i hope i did it right. i shrank the size of the original partition and created a new one in the unallocated space, i think im gonna go with zenwalk, it sounds like the best option for what im lookin to do, and if i dont like it, i will definitly go with Ubuntu. Im really excited about getting started and finally learning it! did i do the partition magic part right, i just dont have a floppy drive on the laptop im doing it on, otherwise i would have just done it through the good ol' 98 boot disk!

EDIT: Is there a guide on here for getting started with the linux interface? If not, is there somewere i can go that will help with just the basic monuvering (sp) around?

Back
Top Bottom