Processor Speeds

cheers guys i know what a CPU does in theory but what is it actually doing? why does a centrino rn at a lower speed but still perfom well compared to a desktop? and why r Mac processers so much more efficient?
(thanks for the quick reply by the way!)

cheers for the help guys but what the difference between a centrino running at 1.8ghz and a Intel Pentium 4 630 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.0GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology is it all down to Variables such as FSB ect?

The clock speed is only one part of the processor. Many other things determine its performance.

In simple terms:

The processor clock determines when the processor is allowed to execute calculations. So obviously the higher the clock speed the more calculations it can execute.

Now, from my A-level Computing class I have learned that AMD processors do more calculations per 'tick' of the clock than INTELs, therefore they can run at lower clock speeds but still outperform INTELs.

that is very true, i think its like 1.5-2 calculations per cycle as to a p4 is like .5 per cycle. i dont recall exactly but its something close to that

Also, L2 caches make a difference. That centrino laptop got like 2 mb of L2 cache. Thats speedy stuff!

ok if you were to choose from two of these processors which one would you choose and y ?
1.AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
64 bit Support: Yes
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache: 2 x 1MB
Multi-Core: Dual-Core
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.6GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Athlon 64 FX
Voltage: 1.30-1.35V
or