Processor Speeds

k0409964

In Runtime
:confused: Right, can some one explain processor speeds and what exactly they are measuring? why r AMD slower than Intels as far a stated ghzs, and how come they out perform them? and what is the deal with macs? MPH is how many miles you can cover in and hour so what is ghz? cheers guys!

The gigahertz, abbreviated GHz, is a unit of alternating current (AC) or electromagnetic (EM) wave frequency equal to one thousand million hertz (1,000,000,000 Hz). The gigahertz is used as an indicator of the frequency of ultra-high-frequency (UHF) and microwave EM signals and also, in some computers, to express microprocessor clock speed.

An EM signal having a frequency of 1 GHz has a wavelength of 300 millimeters, or a little less than a foot. An EM signal of 100 GHz has a wavelength of 3 millimeters, which is roughly 1/8 of an inch. Some radio transmissions are made at frequencies up to hundreds of gigahertz. Personal computer clock speeds are increasing month by month as the technology advances, and reached the 1 GHz point in March of 2000, with a processor from AMD, closely followed by a 1 GHz Pentium 3 from Intel.

Other commonly-used units of frequency are the kHz, equal to 1,000 Hz or 0.000001 GHz, and the MHz, equal to 1,000,000 Hz or 0.001 GHz.

lol does that explain it?

or more to the point, generally speaking the higher the GHz the faster the processor(clock speed) but does not mean that its a faster processor overall. example of that would be an AMD 64-bit running at 2.0GHz compared to an intel celeron running at 2.8GHz... AMD would stomp the celeron

my god, that is a speedy reply! it does, but, for example i have a 1.8ghz lappy that will easily keep up with my 2.5ghz AMD Barton, why?

there are lot of things that change performance. HDD, FSB, Processor Architecture, RAM, CPU Data path etc.

AMD's are far better for gaming because of their integrated memory controller, while intel are better for multitasking, and media.

1.8GHz Intel Pentium M 760-2mb level 2 Cache, i know its not as fast as a desktop, it just intrests me that the new intel duo processoers have a slower stated clock speed yet must be faster than the older versions. What infomations does the GHZ transmission transmit (if you know what i mean) (and my laptop runs HL2 fine!!which is why i am wondering about all this GHZ stuff)

your processor is basicly put. the "brain" of the computer, it does about 95% of the thinking for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom