Possilbe PC build. Require some suggestions.

GenoXide

BSOD
Hello all.

I'm a gamer, I love graphics and such. However, my current build is getting rather old, an AGP X700, probably the most common AGP card on the market. :p

In either case, I need to get PCI-Express up and running, quickly. I'm htinking of buying an eVGA nForce 4 SLI motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor and a 7300GS. The interesting thing here is the 7300GS. From some reviews, it seems as though the 7300GS can play any game on High to Maximum settings, due to its 256MB onboard GDDR2 memory, and with a turbo chache of 256MB, totalling for 512MB of GDDR2.

Now, apparently, if you don't like having a high resolution, and don't mind playing at 800x600, which is fine by me, then you can play at Maximum settings on F.E.A.R and Battlefield 2, which is amazing considering the badnwidth of the memory is only 64-bit.

Now, here's my dilema, should I purchase the cheap stuff now, or, save up, which might take awhile because due to family problems my money has to go to bills and the like, so saving up is rather iffy. So, should I just make the move to PCI-Express now, then, try to save up, replace the Athlon 64 3000+ with an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and a 7900GT or GTX later on? Consider that the difference in money is nearly $800 to $1000. :)

Any suggestions and/or comments on this build is very much welcome and much appreciated. :)

GenoXide,

Im a 15 yr old kid that knows more than I should about computers, but i cant help myself because i work at my dads computer shop. I'm also a gamer, and in the gaming world its all about updating, so what I would do if I was in your position I would buy a new motherboard that could be compatible with new models. Buy a motherboard that could support Athlon 64, Anthlon 64 FX, and Athlon 64 X2 which is now the youngest brother in the AMD family and it supports dual core! Make sure it supports SLi which allows you to use two nvidia SLi video cards to boost performance. The GTX is kinda hard to find these days but im sure newegg.com has it, but if your trying to save up you could go for a alternative like a BFG 7800GTOC 256MB GDDR3 card for $350, i have one and I play F.E.A.R. on my computer with maximum settings and its on 1280x1024 and it plays as smooth as it will on a console.

So yeah make the big move to PCIEx16 and make the jump to SLi and Dual-Core and you'll be just fine.

If you don't mind playing a game at 800x600, then you shouldnt even bother getting a 7xxx series, or an SLi motherboard for that matter, even if it comes free. I would just get some x1600 card for like, 120 bucks and dont even bother getting a new motherboard.

I already am getting an eVGA Socket 939 motherboard that has the NVIDIA nForce4 SLI chipset. Trust me, I knwo my way around PCs. :p But I need a general opinion on if I should buy the crappy parts now, so that I have the option to go Dual Core and eventually to an X1800 series or 7800 or 7900 series gra[phics card. Although since it is an SLI motherboard, I'm sure I'll go with NVIDIA, although my preference lies within ATI. ;)

In either case, the eVGA motherbaord I was considering does infact support the Athlon 64 X2 dual core line up, and with the Socket AM2 motherboard being released on June 6th, this only lowers the price of my motherbaord, and the price of the X2 3800+ I am considering. However, like I said, money at home is rather tight, so I'm not sure that I will be able to save up in time. This si why I want to get parts that allow me to upgrade later when the money and time allows. :)

You have a AGP slot, so yeah its better if you upgrade to something like that.

F.E.A.R. system requirements
* Windows ® 2000/XP with latest service pack installed
* DirectX(tm) 9.0c
* Pentium ® 4 1.7 Ghz or equivalent
* 1GB RAM
* 128 MB DirectX ® 9.0 Compliant Video Card with hardware T&L and pixel shader support*
* 3.0 GB free Hard Drive Space for installation
* Additional hard drive space for a Windows swap file and saved game files.
* 16-bit DirectX 9.0 compliant sound card with support for EAX 2.0
* Broadband connection for multiplayer games.
* Mouse & Keyboard

yeah try getting the Radeon X1600 Video Card, 8x AGP, 512MB GDDR3.

I already own F.E.A.R and with my X700 I can play it on medium settings, although the graphics aren't good enough for me! :p So my X700 aint cutting it, and all the good GPUs are in PCI-Express. This is why I need to make the move tp PCI-Express. Although the 7800GS is looking like a promising card. Any suggestions?

My current specifications are as follows...

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz
1 Gigabyte of PC2700 RAM
Radeon X700
Fiber Optic Internet Connection. (Widely available on the East Coast! :p )

So yeah, I got the processing power, RAM amount, and GPU to play it, but, I want to play it at higher settings. So yeah. Any advice/ideas?

if you have a SLi motherboard, it would b better if you buy the GeForce 7800 GT OC Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB DDR3. And later on you could buy another one for SLi!

Back
Top Bottom