AMD and Intel Mixing and forcing - OK to power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhuser

Golden Master
I just placed an AMD K6-2 500MHZ with a very little force. All pins DO match. I checked.

Now here's the thing:

This CPU is replacing a Pentium MMX 200MHZ That doesn't have a matching pin (And worked)

The motherboard has an INTEL chipset

Is it normal that I forced very gently?

Will it boot up with the Intel and AMD or will by derriere fry up in a matter of seconds? I have it in front and I will not touch it until the majority agrees to one answer.

I'm not sure if it'll work, but that is normal. See what socket you have. I beleive the K6's required a Socket7 and the Pents worked on a Socket5 or 7...I can't recall right off... I know older pents used Socket5(like 75-200MHz) but I'm THINKING any Pentium with MMX needed the Socket7...

All Pentium DO require Either Socket 5 or 7, depending. Socket 5 was up til 1995.

Is that not basically what I just said? :p

Anyway, come to think of it...I THINK I had a K6-166 in an old Socket7 motherboard with an intel chipset.

worth a try, however wouldnt suggest it unless that processor/mobo doesnt really mean anything to you.. in case it cooks it

The_Other_One did it, and yes, the CPU is worth a lot more... All it does is that it fits.

I think it would be ok to be honest. I mean if you think about it, we are always mixing chipsets and CPU's, I think it will be fine.

Wait until you get my mobo maybe, I dunno...up to you..

Just noticed you have an avatar now - cool!

lhuser said:
I just placed an AMD K6-2 500MHZ with a very little force. All pins DO match. I checked.

Now here's the thing:

This CPU is replacing a Pentium MMX 200MHZ That doesn't have a matching pin (And worked)

The motherboard has an INTEL chipset

Is it normal that I forced very gently?

Will it boot up with the Intel and AMD or will by derriere fry up in a matter of seconds? I have it in front and I will not touch it until the majority agrees to one answer.
lmao, your still using a 500mhz as your main computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom