Wait for a computer or not

nstepho

In Runtime
Ok, So I got a new computer and have upgraded the RAM. It has a 2.6g Intel Celeron Processor, 1gb RAM, 64 meg intergrated graphics, and whatever else.

Anyway, my parents want to buy a new computer in the next couple of months, and I have the option of giving them this computer (the one above) and getting one custom made for me (But not too expensive) or just upgrading the one I have now and they can buy a new one for themselves. If I was to upgrade, I would probably just put a 6600gt in it.
I don't know whether to upgrade and have an ok computer now, or wait and get a better computer in a few months. What would you do?

see what they will let you get away with as far as a new one goes, and then go from there:D but i would definatly suggest new

If their not gonna do much, get new one, the current PC will do great if they are only webbrowsing and stuff

Yeah they'll only be using the internet really. Dad's not very good with computers... I told him I was going to get rid of IE and put on Firefox, and he asked if he could still get EBay.

Well, I'd say to buy a new one IF you don't have another fairly decent PC. OR, maybe swapping PCs if the other is a PIII range AND if you don't game.

If you game or don't have a second computer, buy a new one, it's to be done.

I agree with lhuser, did they give you a price range? and if not, could you get one? if they do give you a price range on what you could spend then we could throw some specs your way on what you will be able to get with your budget.

Im guessing you want to game because you would get a 6600GT if you could.

Celerons cannot game, they are crap for games. Is the socket a 478? You could just get a P4 HT processor. But find out the price range on this new one..

Joxley, Celerons are S478. Very few went in the LGA775. TBH, I agree with joxley too. See, a Celeron's cache is the lowest thing you can have as well as the speed is really slower than an actual 2.6GHZ P4. And since Celerons uses FSB533, yours might support FSB800...which could get you a VERY fast P4 HT 3GHZ CPU.

As far for the video card, if you use intergrated and want to game, go for it.

lhuser said:
Joxley, Celerons are S478. Very few went in the LGA775. TBH, I agree with joxley too. See, a Celeron's cache is the lowest thing you can have as well as the speed is really slower than an actual 2.6GHZ P4. And since Celerons uses FSB533, yours might support FSB800...which could get you a VERY fast P4 HT 3GHZ CPU.

As far for the video card, if you use intergrated and want to game, go for it.

It could be a Celeron D, ( not trying to argue!)there not evan that bad, still prefer the P4 though, anyway, proberly is 478.

Evan though S478 is outdated, I think they're pretty good, Im stuck with one until Im rich! A nice Pentium 4 Extreme Edition for S478 would be nice - don't know what is "Extreme about 478 though"

But which socket is it, just so we're 100% sure.

Back
Top Bottom