computer repairman but better paid

Logan1

In Runtime
my dream job would be to put custom computers together all day. but that isn't a job right now(is it?). anyone have any suggestions as to another job (preferably well paid :D ) that would be up my alley. topic title is closest i can think of.

looked into those but there seem to be only hardware and software engineers. tried programming and after 2 years learning about it and a couple languages i've decided it's not for me. hardware engineers seem to be all about designing and building chips, boards, etc. doesn't sound too bad but still not exactly what i'm looking for.(lotsa math, small drawings, CAD, etc.) thanks for the response. any others?

Logan said:
my dream job would be to put custom computers together all day. but that isn't a job right now(is it?). anyone have any suggestions as to another job (preferably well paid :D ) that would be up my alley. topic title is closest i can think of.

If it were a job, I think most of us would do it. Well paid, that's another story in itself. The IT market is so swamped with technical talent, and technical wanna-bees, that it's hard to get a good paying job, much less a well paying job within IT. The closest you're going to get to building custom computers all day is to work for an independent company that is relatively small. Good luck on finding one that will let you do that all day. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but good luck in finding it. P.S.- If you do find it, let me know so I can send my resume:D

start a custom building website (make sure you have LOTS of iventory, and selction, get contract with a wholesaler, insurance, all that crap), and offer the best service and lowest prices around to establish a good reputation, and make money off of advertisment and extended warranties, or if you're REALLY good with customization, you could speclialize in that. Theres people out there that will pay top dollar for awesome customizations.

If you do find it, let me know so I can send my resume

hahaha why would i want the competition.....

kocheez75 is on a distinguished road

Re: computer repairman but better paid
start a custom building website (make sure you have LOTS of iventory, and selction, get contract with a wholesaler, insurance, all that crap), and offer the best service and lowest prices around to establish a good reputation, and make money off of advertisment and extended warranties, or if you're REALLY good with customization, you could speclialize in that. Theres people out there that will pay top dollar for awesome customizations.

thought about that. shipping would be killer. only LCDs...no CRTs.... i can do great case mods/ custom cases but as of now i don't have access to metal saws or anything i'd need to do it. have to be available at all times for support and have super fast shipping (newegg understands the advantage fast shipping is). i recently heard about a computer store chain in spain where you go in, choose your parts(they have a wide selection), then put it together yourself(with help if neccisary). hmmm anyway.....back to the topic....any thing someone else can think of short ofstarting my own business?

Logan said:
hahaha why would i want the competition.....

thought about that. shipping would be killer. only LCDs...no CRTs.... i can do great case mods/ custom cases but as of now i don't have access to metal saws or anything i'd need to do it. have to be available at all times for support and have super fast shipping (newegg understands the advantage fast shipping is). i recently heard about a computer store chain in spain where you go in, choose your parts(they have a wide selection), then put it together yourself(with help if neccisary). hmmm anyway.....back to the topic....any thing someone else can think of short ofstarting my own business?

That's a pretty cool idea that shop in Spain has. Sort of like those restaurants where you go and cook your own steak. They always come out tasting better.

Im stealing this picture from the gallery, but just for an example ;)

liquidcooledimg02863tq.jpg

If you could do mods of this caliber and difficulty, you could easliy charge 1000+ just for the modding. Rich kids and people with expendable incomes will buy something no matter what the cost, so they'd probably be your best target market.

whoa that is awesome. thats like 3/4" id tubing....with cold cathode backlighting....lol
love the bezel also. can't have glass on mine, i'd break it. with right equipment and enough time(would take lots), i think i could do that sort of thing but again the thing comes up about not having the correct equipment.

actually, making that computer is not that hard. 3/4" OD, 1/2" ID tygon, all maze 4 waterblocks. Cant see that radiator, im guessing its a 1x120mm, BIP or BIX cant see the pump either. Guessing its a MCP350. And white CCFLs.

Back
Top Bottom