Can't open files in Office 2002!!

amysrabbitranch

Solid State Member
Okay I know it's not operating system per se, but I don't see what other forum this goes under. I can't find anything online so I decided to join this forum so hopefully you all can help me out!

A few days ago a family member's computer would not open a document in Word. Shortly after, they realized that all the Office 2002 programs won't open documents, AND the IE address bar doesn't work (you can type in a URL but when you hit enter nothing happens). Today, this happened on my computer too. Basically, what happens is say you go into Word. It opens fine, I can type & save files fine. But if I go to "file-open" (or the lazy me ctl+o) the file window pulls up fine, but as soon as I click on a file or folder it freezes the program. It says "not responding" but no error message pops up. The program freezes, I can close it normaly without ctl-alt-delete. Same thing happens if I want to insert an image into the new document (can't open the image file, it does the "not responding" thing) This hapens in ALL office programs, not just word, I just used that for an example. So that plus the IE thing.

Our computers are not networked. I have tried searching online to no avail, all that I could find is to replace normal.dot. Didn't work at all. No viruses/worms/etc I just did a full system scan (Norton 2006). I also did registry scan, tried WinDoctor (from Norton), and the "one button checkup". Nothing worked. I also can create system restore points, so I tried restoring to a previous date before the problems started. It said that no changes had been made to the system so it couldn't restore anything.

In case it helps, my operating system is Windows XP Pro on a AMD Anthlon 64 bit 3800+ 2.4 gHz processor, 1 GB DDR and 200 gig HD, tons of space it's a pretty new computer, memory not an issue.

I am not a computer geek, just a science geek (my area is biochem though), math geek, and I am getting into graphic design and website developing so I know my way around a computer pretty well. My family and I built a computer so they aren't forign to us. But the whole programing stuff, that's way outa my league so be nice with any complecated techno-lingo although use them too because I want to learn the words.

Thanks!
Amy

probably a virus, or corrupt file in the software. try this. Start Menu>Controll Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Office 2002>Repair

have you tried to kick it?:D j/k if you have antivirus run a scan with that as well as some antispyware software. Spybot Search and destroy is a good one

Spybot, yes. Forgot to mention I did try that along with the norton virus scanning already too....to no avail. That's what is weird! Nothing shows up as being wrong! But yet, it doesn't work. How do these file browsers work? There seems to be something wrong in the linkage between the open window file browsers and the computer itself type of thing. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Amy

If you have the Office CD, you can always try reinstalling. You've done just about everything you can do. As for the IE issue (and it may even help with Office), take your Windows XP CD and put it in the drive. Go to Start>Run type "sfc /scannow" without quotes and let it do what it needs too. Once that completes, try then, both IE and Office. Basically what this does is replace some system files back to the original state, sfc stands for System File Checker, FYI. If that doesn't work, let me know if you have all your discs, and COA (Certificate of Authenticity- 25 digit code somewhere on your computer). We may have do a repair, to fix IE, and it will require you reinstalling office, so I want to make sure you have everything you need.

(did a system restore already, didn't work). I know what I need to do to reinstall things and such. I was just hoping there was some other way. I'll keep messing around and see what I can do.
Thanks.

have you tried to completely reinstall it? uninstall everything, then reinstall. if that dont fix it, reformat lol :p j/k

cant you get hold of a copy of office 2003? i didnt even know there was an office 2002 lol. unless that is also known as office xp

Back
Top Bottom