Troubles with brand new PC :(

jford04

Solid State Member
Hi well, some of you may remember a while back i was having A LOT! of troubles with my old pc. which lead to me throwing it out and buying a new one. Well a problem from the old one is now happening on the new one ( GOD NO!)

Bassicly When you turn on the computer, the light on my moniter stays orange (showing that it is pluged in but no siglan going through it ( as if the computer was off) ) . And Sometimes it dose boot up but gose horribly slow.

Recently i upgraded my GFX Card From a Nvidia MX440 ( OLD!) to a 5700FX Nvidia or somthing ( not to sure on GFX Cards) anyway, this happened on Both Cards, with the old card i just took it out, blew the AGP slot and put back in and somtimes it would work, This isnt working now. My MotherBoard Also has an intregrated GFX Card thingy, Ive tried that and to no sucess either.
So i have lead this down to 2 possabilitys ( both are probley wrong though)
My Hardrive, It is the only thing i still have from my old PC
Or My moniter, but it seems extreamly unlikly now because of the loading times when it dose boot up properly.

I get no beeps or anything from when i just turn on my computer, I am yet to run a postcard check to see if that helps.

so as you can see its a pickle of a situation i'm in. so i will also list all my other hardware and it may lead you computer masterminds to somthing else =P

Hard Drive, 80gb Maxtor ( about 3 years old)
16x Benq DVD Burner
52x CyberDrive CD Burner
Mother Board, Unknown, Some sort of IBM Pretty Recent
CPU. P4 2.8GHZ ( no over clocking done)
Ram, 512mb Generic ( 2x256 Chips) ( 1 chip may be from old computer)
PSU 350 Watt
PCI Firewire Card. ( also from old rig)

So yeh help would be greatly Apericiated, i just baught this thing about 6 months ago and its playing up =( anywhoo Thanks heaps guys, hope ya can help =)

Well I had a problem similar to this before. What I did to fix it is unplug everything from my motherboard(20/24pin power connector and whatever else) and then power on your computer. Then just turn it off after a few seconds and plug the motherboard back in. After that the problem went away. Not sure if this is what is going on with yours but it might be.

I doubt its your motherboard if it sometimes boots.

Also it probably isnt your hard drive because even if it was bad it would atleast go to the BIOS.

Maybe its the monitor, when it boots up and the monitor light is orange and the comp feels like its working maybe its the monitor

It is going to be really hard to say whats wrong with it. Maybe if I had it in front of me to toy around with, I might be able to help a little more. But, it sounds like it might be a hardware issue, because it is inconsistent. You should find out what kind of motherboard you have, and see if everything is compatible.

Maybe try rebuilding the whole computer?

Is everything clean of dust and other debris? Have you you installed everything in a static free zone? Did you ground yourself before building?

You should really do some more research on your computer products. The memory might be shot, and unable to load all the windows files onto it. The hard drive might have something to do with it, because of the slow loading times. Check the parts in a different machine to see if they work.

Use a multimeter and check all the rails to see if power is getting to them properly, and at stable voltages. (be careful when doing this, dont hold me responsible either)

Maybe take your comp to a shop and sit down with the yech and explain the problem. Maybe it is something simple as getting a new cable for your monitor???

Could be some sort of hardware confliction.

Try using just one stick of RAM at a time, try them both as well. Try a different video card if you can, and evan a different monitor if possible.

Just mix and match!

Try using different sticks of ram and the monitor on another machine if you can? If not its proberly the motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom