CPU Temperature

epihammer

Baseband Member
What is the standard control limits when setting up your CPU temperature controlers?

This is my current system:

Intel Pentium 4 511J
2800MHz

MotherBoard: ECS P4M800-M7 V3.1

Processor Temperature: 122° F
Main Board Temperature: 95° F

If you need more data please let me know.

Thanks,

John

To me, there is few. The only stuff controlable is fans. But, you can also control cold cathodes if you have some.

Yes, it is a Prescott LGA 775 and the temps are high if they are idle temps.

epihammer said:
Processor Temperature: 122° F (50° C Edited)
Main Board Temperature: 95° F (35° C Edited)
Your ambient air temperatures will have a lot of bearing on your temperatures, but I believe you are just entering spring (correct me if I am wrong) and the ambients are only going to rise as will your pc temps.

The first thing I'd look for is dust build up in the heatsink fan, give it a good clean out, also check your case for cable clutter which may be restricting airflow. You don't supply any detail about your case cooling or location (i.e. is it in a well ventilated position?) so I can't comment on that.

Secondly, if the temperatures do not decrease after a clean, then reseating the cpu with a 99.9% silver based themal compound (like Arctic Silver 5) would be my next step. (How to apply AS5)

Thirdly, as suggested by ownage, a third party cooler may be the way to go. The stock coolers are OK but there are better products out there.

Call me a fanboy but I've always found Zalmans work well.

On the other side of the coin, if those temperatures are at load then they are quite acceptable, but I would still look at third party cooling. :) You can never have enough cooling imo :)

Zalmans are great for quiet cooling, but for me, they just dont cut it if i want high clocks. Just my .02

True, :) but then even I can't afford liquid nitrogen cooling :) I can get my 3.2 up to 3.84 stable during winter here with the Zalman, summer it is just too warm with regard to ambient air temps to achieve that (we get close to 40°C here mid summer, though the usual temp is around 35°C) If I really want to achieve high clocks it is a case of liquid cooling to get any more of an oc, which I am contemplating doing to this pc when I build my next one around Q1 - Q2 2007

I would like to thank everyone for their comments!!! For now I have installed another fan to help with the air circulation and it has definitely helped.

Again,
Thank You

lhuser said:
To me, there is none. See. the only thing you can control is the fan speeds. If you had the CPU temperture control, it'd been long time that my CPU would be on -200 C andOCed to 6GHZ

6GHZ? I'm sure that's got to be a typo.

lhuser>>>so, that was your taget...hmm!

Back
Top Bottom