new cpu or not?

gully2006

Solid State Member
my friend is selling his pentium 4 3.0ghz northwood 800fsb to me for $60 but since my motherboard cant support 800fsb i'll have to underclock :| to 133x15 so will my current cpu celeron 2.8 perform worse than the p4 at only 1.9ghz? or is it worth it?? seriously short on cash cant afford new mobo :|

well first thing i love to tell people....CELERON PROCESSORS SUCK!!!...well unless u dont game...but if your a gamer get rid of that peice of crap...and its still not too good for normal programs....now if i were u i would maybe try to get a new slightly cheap motherboard so the pentium 4 can go full speed.........and it would only cost maybe 30-200 dollars...lol lots of good cards are maybe 70...then u swith all the rest of ur internals into it and wala....faster computer....hope this helped!!!

Lol a p4 underclocked will perform better then that 2.8ghz celeron even overclocked... if it works do the switch , even test it before u buy it. I have a p41.4 ghz..... and my grama has a celeron 2.8ghz and she says its to slow lol, with the p4 1.4 i have a faster start up application opening, gaming, well faster everything

The P4 will own, even downclocked compared to a 2.8ghz Celeron. It's just built to handle more multimedia stuff, like gaming, watching/burning dvds, etc. I'd go with the P4 but I might want to consider getting a new motherboard. Here's one that is only like 60 bucks, and it has an agp slot and pci-e slot incase you're considering upgrading your graphics down the road.

Asus P5V800-MX Via Socket 775 MicroATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / AGP 8x / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1696712&CatId=0

celerons are HORRIFYING! they have like no caches. you won't be able to do much with them

sempron wins by far. dude, my mom's sempron at 1.6ghz runs faster than my friends celeron at 2.8ghz. even my sisters 800mhz PIII runs faster than my friends 2.8ghz celeron :D

alright i'll just buy the cpu, my gfx right now is a 6800LE 12pipes, 6vp and 2048mb pc2700mb ram :D getting wasted on friken CPU! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom