Odd harddrive problem, please save my files

meanpeoplesuck

Baseband Member
Hello.

I had an 80gb External Harddrive, which I later popped open and took the harddrive out of. This was stupid of me because it contained all my data, Music, Pictures. Now, when I try to set it as a slave drive, it doesn't come up as a drive. Which makes sence because its not partitioned, or so I would think.

However, bios detects it, as does the device manager. But going into my computer, to try to explore it, nothing comes up.

So then I switch the jumpers to master, and put it back in the external case. Everything works, except once again, it won't be detected. It comes up as a mass storage device, but there is no way to explore it.

So if anyone can help me get the files off the drive, you would be of great help.

I thought about going into DOS, and CDing the files, but then I realized it had no drive asignment.

So please, anything will be greatly appreciated.

Is the main hard drive set as Cable Select?

Make sure the main HDD, is set to Master, and the secondary is set to slave.

All the IDE cables are in right, not mixing and matching with CD drivers are we?

1) First of all, with my External, its formated with a NTFS file system if that makes a difference with setting it as an actual internal HDD

2)I would have to think that you would have to partition/format to work with whatever OS you are working with.

3)Make sure all drivers are up to date

4)Make sure your BIOS can support it as a bootable drive....

These are just some ideas i pondered after reading through my extrenal hdd guide. If any thing i have said is wrong, tell me please.

I'm using windows xp professional, so it should auto detect it when connected via usb.

I didn't even think hard drives needed drivers.

I just want to get the files off the drive, and then format it to be my slave drive.

Currently, I have a 160gb harddrive as master, and I just want to connect it as slave, take the files off and onto the master, then format it.

It seems like you need to put it back in the external case, get it to work and take the files from there. I think it won't work if you put it in the computer, set it as a internal hdd and have it work the way you want. the file are on the preset partition or whatever the company put on the external hdd and the computer probaly won't recognize that when its an internal hdd. Once you get the files off it, delete everything on there, create a new partition and put your OS on there.

Can someone back me up on this?

Right click the drive in the Computer Management and Select Change Drive Letter and paths, and then add one. There, A HDD full of stuff that doesn't need to be formatted :)

Back
Top Bottom