new heatsink?

gully2006

Solid State Member
well i this is really stupid.. i was bored the other day so i decided to PVA my heatsink to my cpu since i could not be stuffed buying any thermal paste... well it is still glued on :mad: stupid idea*, and temps are ranging from 48C-58C full load. should i buy a new heatsink and fan or just leave it coz these temps are pretty good for pva glue lol. my Cpu Celeron 2.8ghz 400fsb, 478 Stock HSF+PVA GLUE
i ran the cpu at 100% load for 3 days straight with prime95 and highest temp was 59C, it was not throttling even at 70 wen i took the fan off. so should i blow $30 on a new hsf or keep it? i only got $30 hav to spend rest for school so i got no money for thermal ..

well i decided not to get a new one since i only do light gaming. plus its been 100% load for 4 days now and max temp now is only 55C if it goes ne higher i'll get a new one

PolyVynal Adhesive? Plastic pipe glue. ArticSilver5 is less than $5.00usd for a tube. That glue is meant for plastic pipe. It has zip and no thermal properties. A 478 celeron is a willimett cpu chip and is not meant to run hot. A normal temp for that cpu is 80 to in the hood of 120. Any higher and you need to back track your HSF install. Getting the heatsink off the cpu chip won't be too hard as that glue doesn't bond metal. But getting the residue off is going to be tricky.
59C is 138.2F
70C is 158F
For a celeron 2.8 that is toasting the cpu. Unless you have reset the alert/ throttle back levels it should be close to giving you an alert or start throttling back. Get HS paste on the connection and you'll be fine.

gully2006 said:
well i this is really stupid.. i was bored the other day so i decided to PVA my heatsink to my cpu since i could not be stuffed buying any thermal paste... well it is still glued on :mad: stupid idea*, and temps are ranging from 48C-58C full load. should i buy a new heatsink and fan or just leave it coz these temps are pretty good for pva glue lol. my Cpu Celeron 2.8ghz 400fsb, 478 Stock HSF+PVA GLUE
i ran the cpu at 100% load for 3 days straight with prime95 and highest temp was 59C, it was not throttling even at 70 wen i took the fan off. so should i blow $30 on a new hsf or keep it? i only got $30 hav to spend rest for school so i got no money for thermal ..
This is the most ludicrous thing I have ever read, are you deliberatly trying to kill your cpu?
Pull the heatsink and fan assembly off, clean off the glue with isopropyl alcohol and get some thermal compound for the reassembly, I'm surprised the thing still boots.

You might even be able to get ALL of the glue off either. You can either lap the bottom of the heatsink and the IHS to remove the thin layer of glue. Or get a new heatsink.

its a northwoodcore.. plus the heatsink i put on was uneven coz it got dinted from the case right in the middle :| so clumsy. well coz its a northwood i reckon these temps are pretty good .. lol anyone disagree? 45C idle, 55C full load now :D

NorthWood core 2.4ghz
Idle 24C
Full load 40C
Stock heatsink and fan.
ArticSilver 5 thermal paste.

Yeah I'm bragging...

setishock said:
NorthWood core 2.4ghz
Idle 24C
Full load 40C
Stock heatsink and fan.
ArticSilver 5 thermal paste.

Yeah I'm bragging...

lol nice temps bro, i might actually go buy one then :eek: waste of money lol for this stupid proc i might sell it for $60AU and just buy a new one

Back
Top Bottom