New motherboard, old HDD

amphibea

Beta member
I am upgrading my computer from a pentium 4 (plus some motherboard) to an Athlon 64 3000+ and Asus A8v-Deluxe mobo. My master hard drive has a version of windows installed on the C:\ Drive and I have some data on a partition Z:\. I also have another physical drive, F:\, with some data and no windows. My new motherboard recognises the existance of both drives.

Whenever i try to start up the computer, it takes me as far as the screen where I can choose whether to start windows normally or use safemode. In both cases, whatever I choose, the computer pops up a Blue Screen of Death for a moment, then restarts. When I request for it not to restart upon finding an error, the blue screen tells me "Stop 0x0000007b" and that i should check for viruses on my drive.

On other forums, i have seen reports of similar problems, using a new mobo to boot up an existing version of Windows from the old HDD. Of the queries i have read, everyone resorted to formatting their drive. Is there any other way to get my motherboard to run my old version of windows without deleting everything? Thanks in advance.

why dont you just backup the data and format. or i fyou have 2 hdds, put the data on one and re install windows on another, and then just leave them both on your new mobo

yeah, assuming you are using XP, it doesn't let you put that drive on a system with a different mobo and cpu, you'll have to reformat.

Back
Top Bottom