Adding IDE HD to new system

dmb51599

In Runtime
I want to take my old IDE HD and add it to my new system I finished last night simply to transfer everything (Music and crap) over to my new hd. What all do I have to do to make this possible?? Thanks!

Well, the main hdd with the os should be set to master, and then old ide should be set to slave. Then all you have to do is format it.

The thing is I dont want to format the old HD. I want to plug it in and copy everything onto the new HD

you shouldn't have to format..if the os u have installed will read the file system.(Example, windows 98 will not read ntfs formatted drives.)..yes u can put other hard drives from other working computers and access the files on each hard drive..i did this and it worked great!!...and make sure u have the jumper settings correct!

Since you didn't post how you're set up I'm gonna make some guesses.
If your optical drive and os drive are on the same ide channel leave them as that. Put the old drive on the second channel and set it to master. Boot up and copy the files just using drag and drop. Takes a bit to move things but worth the time. Don't try to copy the whole thing at one time. A folder or two at a time. And check them as they get done. Notice I used the term COPY. Just make copies before you comitt the old drive to some thing else. Check the files when you done copying them across.

My new HD is SATA and my CDRW is set as master. I also have a dvd drive but for soem reason I cant get it recognised. Any ideas??

Yeah check it out, thats the only thing I think would be causing that. Let me know what happens..

Back
Top Bottom