Happy Easter!

Brookfield said:
Perhaps it is a Brit thing as I said [post 5]

Its a Roman Catholic thing and the reason is that it is a sign of penance, its never been introduced by a pope but has become practice.

Abstaining from something helps us refocus on what is important and it cuts out the things that might have seemed important. By abstaining, we have better ability to concentrate on God.

During the Season of Lent, however, the Catholic Church asks Catholics to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Catholics also should carry on the tradition of not eating meat on Fridays through Lent.

One belief of why meat was chosen is because most people feel that giving up meat (beef and chicken) is an inconvenience.

The Church asks us to inconvenience ourselves sometimes to serve as a reminder that they should always have God as a top priorty and pleasures as a lesser priorty.

Another belief is that in many poorer countries, beef is a speciality. For us to give it up, helps us to remember about people who are less fortunate than we are.

john123 said:
wow...religious nerd...lol

LOL Nope, I do have a fascination with religious texts, but its a wonder what a quick search on google will bring up.

Although my belief and values system is Christian based, it is not the faith that I prescribe to.

to any of the christians here, i was watching a think on discovery channel and the internet where they found and translated a thing thats supposed to be the gospel of judas and it said that jesus asked him to turn him in...

Found this on Google, the British "version" of Good Friday, it's lengthy, but very detailed, please note, I myself, am not that religious, so I wouldn't necessarily keep to the parameters/traditions set here. [I have asterisked the part about eating fish]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Good Friday Traditions
Good Friday marks the arrest, trial, crucifixion, death and burial of Jesus Christ.

You are here:British Life > Holiday Dates > Christian Festivals > Easter > Lent > Friday

Shrove Tuesday History of Easter Holy Saturday
Ash Wednesday Palm Sunday Easter Day
Lent Maundy Thursday Easter Quiz
Mothering Sunday Good Friday Easter Customs
Read about what one English kid does on Easter Day

In 2006, Good Friday is on April 14 th.

Good Friday (Holy Friday) The meaning of Good Friday
When is Good Friday?
Good Friday is the Friday before Easter Sunday. On this day, Christians remember the day when Jesus was crucified on a cross.

The date of Good Friday changes every year. See our main Easter page to find out why.

The date of the first Good Friday will never be known, but many scholars believe that the event took place on April 7th, A.D. 30. If they are right the calendar is wrong, by three years.

The Anglo-Saxon name for Good Friday was Long Friday, due to the long fast imposed upon this day.

Why is it called Good Friday?
The name may be derived from 'God's Friday' in the same way that good-bye is derived from 'God be with ye'.

It is 'good' because the barrier of sin was broken.

What happened on Good Friday?
Jesus was arrested and was tried, in a mock trial. He was handed over to the Roman soldiers to be beaten and flogged with whips. A crown of long, sharp thorns was thrust upon his head.

Jesus was forced to carry his own cross outside the city to Skull Hill. He was so weak after the beating that a man named Simon, who was from Cyrene, was pulled from the crowd and forced to carry Jesus' cross the rest of the way.

Jesus was nailed to the cross. Two other criminals were crucified with him, their crosses were on either side of him. A sign above Jesus read "The King of the Jews."

According to the bible:

The third hour of the day - Jesus was nailed to the cross. (9:00 am )
The Sixth Hour of the day - darkness covered the land ( 12:00 noon ).
The ninth hour of the day - the darkness left, and the Lord died
( 3:00 pm).
The hours in the bible are calculated from the first hour of the day, being 6 in the morning.

Christians believe that Jesus stood in our place. His death paid the penalty not for his own wrong doings but for ours.

What happens on Good Friday today?

Since the early nineteenth century, before the introduction of bank holidays, Good Friday and Christmas Day were the only two days of leisure which were almost universally granted to working people. Good Friday today is still a public holiday in much of the UK. This means that many businesses are closed.

Some Christians fast (go without food) on Good Friday. This helps them remember the sacrifice Jesus made for them on the day of crucifixion. Many churches hold a special service. This may be a communion service in the evening or a time of prayer during the day, especially around 3 o'clock as that is about the time of day when Jesus died.

Many Churches hold services lasting three hours. They may celebrate the Stations of the Cross, or take part in Passion plays and dramatic readings.

Some Christians take part in a procession of witness, carrying a cross through the streets and then into church.

Churches are not decorated on Good Friday. In some churches, pictures and statues are covered over. It is seen as a time of mourning.

It is traditional to eat warm 'hot cross buns' on Good Friday. Hot Cross Buns with their combination of spicy, sweet and fruity flavours have long been an Easter tradition.

Why do we eat Hot Cross Buns ?
The pastry cross on top of the buns symbolises and reminds Christians of the cross that Jesus was killed on.

The buns were traditionally eaten at breakfast time, hot from the oven. They were once sold by street vendors who sang a little song about them.

"Hot cross buns, Hot cross buns,
One a penny, two a penny,
Hot cross buns."

Hot Cross Bun Ceremony
At the London Pub, The Widow's Son, a Hot Cross Bun Ceremony takes place each Good Friday. In the early 19th century, a widow who lived on the site was expecting her sailor son back home for Easter, and placed a hot cross bun ready for him on Good Friday. The son never returned, but undaunted the widow left the bun waiting for him and added a new bun each year. Successive landlords have kept the tradition going after the pub was opened.

Other traditional Good Friday food
It is traditional to eat fish on Good Friday instead of meat*.

Good Friday Superstitions / beliefs
There are a number of superstitions relating to Good Friday.
Click here to visit our Easter Supersitions page.

Good Friday Traditions

Traditionally Good Friday was the day when everything was cleaned and whitewashed in preparation for Easter Sunday.

Old Tradition on Good Friday

Cramp Rings
From the reign of Edward III to that of Mary Tudor, monarchs used to bless a plateful of gold and silver rings every Good Friday at the Chapel Royal. By rubbing the rings between their fingers, the royal touch was believed to cure cramp and epilepsy. The custom was abolished during the reign of Elizabeth I.

Happy Easter to those that believe in him that rose from the dead and asended to the heavens..

john123 said:
wow...religious nerd...lol
I know that "lol" implies it's light hearted, & although he accepted it as such, there was no need for this remark, it's a tradition here at CF to have threads to celebrate such occasions, Christmas is next, in addition, some choose to wish happy birthday to members throughout the year, that's what makes this site different to others.
What I am saying is, these are not times to have a pop at each other, as a joke or not. :(

Brookfield said:
Yes, some people eat only fish on Good Friday, my late wife & I did, it wasn't a religious thing for us, more an old tradition, I believe that some restaurants still feature a special on fish dishes on that day, & I don't think it's just a Brit thing, anyway, enjoy your Easter Sunday, but remember what it is about.
usa.gif
good ole traditions... I ate my fish today as well...

:)

happy easter (for sunday)

Back
Top Bottom