PhysX Engine

NeXuS1

Fully Optimized
Wow i was scrolling on the new phys card they were going to launch and saw a comparison on using the card. The results seemed very promising of the phys card. Here is the link:
http://physx.ageia.com/footage.html

Note: LoL click on the image to play the video on Ghost Recon game at first i didnt know it was a video i just thought it was gonna show a bigger picture but no it was a video and scared the crap outta me cause i had full volume :p)

lol, that's pretty cool, nice thing is it'll take a lot of stress off the cpu because it's precessing a lot of the physics.

well it might be an advantage over some of the older consoles. but xbox 360 and especially ps3 are designed with multi processors. when ps3 was made public one of the main points that the reps made was that one of the SEVEN cpus will take charage of the physics, and they had that entire demo of the ducks. this physics processor card is simply preparation to face the ps3 (and other next-gen consoles) which will have more than one cpu.

regardless, its pretty cool for pc owners, dont know where to get one?
and i read on their site that for some reason you only need to buy one card, and you can expand it later on.

Im still having difficulty understanding this. I will use Half-Life 2 as an example. That game is quite physically and graphically intense yet it does not use a physics card. It does have a number of pre-arranged animations for bullet holes and what not, but i dont get what the difference would be with the physics processor. Sure you pre-program bullet holes in the game and make different ones for different materials but how is the actual physics going to be any different? The holes are still going to look the same. IDK, im just a little confused about the whole idea. Im sure once i see it in action i will understand it.

badninja3 said:
that's gonna be such a key advantage of pcs over consoles.

The PS3 liscensed the PhysX SDK, which means that it'll utilize PhysX as well, provided the game supports it.

Zaki said:
well it might be an advantage over some of the older consoles. but xbox 360 and especially ps3 are designed with multi processors. when ps3 was made public one of the main points that the reps made was that one of the SEVEN cpus will take charage of the physics, and they had that entire demo of the ducks. this physics processor card is simply preparation to face the ps3 (and other next-gen consoles) which will have more than one cpu.

regardless, its pretty cool for pc owners, dont know where to get one?
and i read on their site that for some reason you only need to buy one card, and you can expand it later on.
oh yeah. i forgot about ps3's multi processor setup.

anyway, the xbox 360 is at a disadvantage here cuz it has to use pure software for its physx, whereas pc's will be able to use hardware acceleration. and since the ps3 doesnt even have finalized specs, it can now make one of its processors solely for physx. damn, sony seems to have made no progress in the ps3 development. well, props to m$ then for its likely 1.5 year headstart in the 'nex-gen' war.

Distortion88 said:
Im still having difficulty understanding this. I will use Half-Life 2 as an example. That game is quite physically and graphically intense yet it does not use a physics card. It does have a number of pre-arranged animations for bullet holes and what not, but i dont get what the difference would be with the physics processor. Sure you pre-program bullet holes in the game and make different ones for different materials but how is the actual physics going to be any different? The holes are still going to look the same. IDK, im just a little confused about the whole idea. Im sure once i see it in action i will understand it.
Did you see the cell factor video on the link i know HL-2 is very impressive in physics, but on cell factor there is a part when they kill a guy on a high place, there is a steep slide and when he gets killed the blood slides over the surface and goes down, wow that really impressed me a lot never seen that ina game.

Back
Top Bottom