to upgrade or to not upgrade?

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
Hi everyone!!
My PC is now 1.5 years old and that time where I ask…should I sell it and get some cash or do some minor upgrades to get me through another year? I like to play games and do a bit of Photoshop, movie editing, multitask and have a dual display.

Current Specs

Athlon XP 2600+
1.25 Gig of DDR400 PC 3200
MB – Asus A7N8X-E (socket A CPU which I don't think I can buy anymore?)
Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT (awesome vid card!!)
2 SATA HD's
2 IDE Only HD's

thanks in advance for your replies.

Yeah most def, if you have the money for dual displays... :) get the best out there so the gaming on em is worth how much you paid!

Most definitly upgrade, if it wasnt the processor that needed the upgrade, then i would say just get what you need, because you never know whats going to come out and shoot the other prices down, but since its the processor, and upgrading would require a new MB and what not most likely, i would say keep the vid card, mem (maybe jump up to 2 g) and others that you want and upgrade the mb and cpu. Keeep us updated on your decision.

Yea new cpu and mobo, however your graphics card is medicore considered nowadays. Howver its still better then what I got and I play COD2 on mine maxed out non-oced.

Nik00117 said:
Yea new cpu and mobo, however your graphics card is medicore considered nowadays. Howver its still better then what I got and I play COD2 on mine maxed out non-oced.

cod2 doesn't really need much from the vid card. I can run it fine, 1024x 768 I believe and the average fps is around 80. And I have a fx5700 (256mb)
And the 6800GT is pretty good nowadays, there is no games that it couldn't run well.

Lol, looks like your covered for storage with the 4 hard-drives. Eh, think about getting a new motherboard and cpu as the other people have already said. I was thinking for a cpu, that would be for gaming and multimedia, you should go for an AMD 64 3500+, or if you wanted to shell out the cash, just go AMD 64 X2 4200+. For the motherboard I would ASUS A8N SLI. It's only about 130 bucks and it has room for upgrading down the road in case you want to maybe add another video card or something.

Here are the links
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1428168&Sku=A455-2116
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1366613&CatId=1949
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1446873&CatId=1948

yeah, the processor isn't very new, and same with the gpu. if you think that video card is good, you havent seen anything yet

joepic said:
yeah, the processor isn't very new, and same with the gpu. if you think that video card is good, you havent seen anything yet

someone please explain to me why u say that the 6800GT isn't a good card?
Can play FEAR fine, can play Oblivion fine, can play any game fine. What is there to complain about? (well if u want u can get a card that is $200 more and then u can put AA and some other eye candies on, but are they really worth $200?)

How do you test FPS? I run my vid card at 1280 by 1024... And my computer heats up after a while.

Back
Top Bottom