Help! Windows! No!

Before trying to shutdown, have you tried to shut down every process that the task manager will allow you to? it wont damage anything, it will just shut everything down until the next time you boot. Alright, now i swear thats the last idea i have! LoL :)

I have an idea, try going into msconfig, clicking on selective startup, taking the check box out of load startup group items then try to shut down, if it works then it will narrow down the possiblities

~K-Pow~ said:
I have an idea, try going into msconfig, clicking on selective startup, taking the check box out of load startup group items then try to shut down, if it works then it will narrow down the possiblities

why not start with nothing checked? this way, as you check items for startup, and you are successful in shutting down, you know that that item is not giving the shutdown problems. you might want to start the diagnosing with just choosing one item at a time - check one, then next time uncheck that one, and check another, repeat - so you might be able to identify the one that is the issue.

but, it might not be only one. it may be that its a combo startup item.

and if you can eliminate startup items, start with other diagnostic tests.

All this has been done guys, not to discourage your ideas, but we already tried all that, it was in the Computer Cleanup guide.

yeah don't worry guys, your inputs are still valid, but like dave said, i have gone through nearly everything to try and fix the problem.

But there is better news, i dont know why, but now my computer is shutting down but it takes about 5 minutes to do so. It's a step up from not shutting down at all so i guess its good news! It doesnt mean the issue is solved obviously but it is better than where i was at before, so i guess i might settle with that. Of course, i will still try to tweak things here and there to see if i get any improvements but at this point, it's as good as its going to get i think.

As well, if anyone else comes up with a new idea to try then by all means post your advice!

no that's the only thing i havent done yet is remove the sound card drivers. Im thinkin that the drivers for that are the culprit. It's only other change i've made recently but like i said, i thought it was shutting down fine after i installed them. It's hard to remember because I dont shut down my computer often. I might just have to try that tho.

Back
Top Bottom