how secure is an account password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danagol

Baseband Member
ok here is a question i wander: lets say i have a laptop with only one account, which is password protected (15 characters long). how secure is it. if someone stole it, would they be able to rebot it and hit f2 and mess with the admin password settings, or is there no chance of hacking into it what-so-ever?
dont worry i havent stolen anthing lol, but if someone stole my computer. then i wander what are the chances of them getting into it?

someone who tries to steal a laptop won't no much about it other than it is expensive, and that's all they care about. They will prob sell it on the market and someone else will buy it and install a fresh OS and it'll turn up on eBay or something. Chances are they won't even bother.

People can crack into an O/S password.. its not the hardest thing in the world.
Ussually these people are trained to do it, and its not like common knowledge but if someone stole it, I'm sure they could bring it to a technician to have it opened up.

For anything that you wouldn't want seen, I'd encrypt it.
Look on Google.com for information on encrypting your files. ;)

The most secure passwords contain a mixture of letters and numerals, but given enough undisturbed time, most passwords are crackable.

Physical access to the computer- it only takes as much time as it does to boot. Most don't have access to the types of programs that you need, or the know-how to get into a computer. It would probably end up like the Linux Guru said, sold someone and then put on Ebay.

Bahawolf said:
People can crack into an O/S password.. its not the hardest thing in the world.
Ussually these people are trained to do it, and its not like common knowledge but if someone stole it, I'm sure they could bring it to a technician to have it opened up.

1) You can get programs that can reset the Admin password, opening up the entire OS.
2) You can remove the HDD and connect it to a workstation, and browse it anyway.

here is a good article you might like to read about password cracking... mostly just gives you an idea of how fast it "could" be cracked. however that is dependant on the person who is attempting to crack the password's experience

uid=[0] said:
here is a good article you might like to read about password cracking... mostly just gives you an idea of how fast it "could" be cracked. however that is dependant on the person who is attempting to crack the password's experience
i dont see any article..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom