First build!!: MOBO Drivers

kocheez75

In Runtime
I just got all my parts and plan to attempt my first build tomorrow. My mobo came with a disk that has all the drivers, but is that just used for a backup, or do I have to install the drivers once windows is working? Does the BIOS already have the drivers installed? Also, the only thing im a little uncertian about is what parts need to have their own connection to the psu, and how to go about doing it. And for the fans, do they connect to the psu, mobo, or both?

Heres a list of my parts:
Asus SLi Premium
Athlon X2 3800+
Corsair 1gb ram
Seagate 120gb 7200rpm
Antec 500W smartpower 2.0
nVidia 7600GT
Sony DVD Rom
Samsung DVD-R
XP Pro

No. you have to install the drivers. As for the fans you can have them directly to the psu, or to the mobo. Its up to you, but if you connect them to the mobo using the 2 pin connector thing it gives you a read of the rpm. Both optical drives need to get power from the psu, along with the hard drive.

What connectors would I use for the optical and hard drives?

I have to use a relay for both of the optical drives, right?

I'm pretty sure that the vid card also requires a direct connection to the psu. Not sure because I haven't seen that specific card, but most of the new ones do.

You should basically be able to look at the back of each device and figure out the connector. If you need more help during the build, don't hesitate to ask.

Don't use too much force for anything.. thats a good rule.
Make sure your doing it right if it takes that much force.

Also for the IDE cables make sure you have them the right way when going to push them in. There is a black box where there are no pin, so you have to have it the correct way, thought I would just let you know.

mammikoura said:
I'm pretty sure that the vid card also requires a direct connection to the psu. Not sure because I haven't seen that specific card, but most of the new ones do.

The fan plugs into the card iteself, so i dont think it needs to be connected to the psu

Could someone go into a little more detail about the cd drive connections (both to power supple and motherboard). Do I need to relay both of them, or is it possible to just wire them independantly. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom